newbie question about the game engine

Im only 13 so you hafta understand this 3d stuff is hard for me to grasp. And since the kind of game i would wnat to make is an rts, i think it would be pretty FRIGGIN hard to make it with the 3d stuff considering all the polygons. With all those polygons the game would be slow as crap. So my question was, could I use ms paint to make the animation I want but use the blender game engine to make it into an RTS (real time strategy, like starcraft). Help would be appreciated.

P.S.- If you cant make a game with paint and the blender game engine, could you at least tell me if its possible to make an rts with blender.

Age doesn’t really count - there are some younger kids than you doing excellent 3d stuff! :wink:

With all those polygons the game would be slow as crap. So my question was, could I use ms paint to make the animation I want but use the blender game engine to make it into an RTS (real time strategy, like starcraft). Help would be appreciated.

How fast your game will be depends on the hardware and how low poly all is. So possibly it might not be as slow as you think to use 3d graphics.

Using 2d grpahics is an option, yes. And would be much faster - less geometry, no physics - or at least not much, you’d probably need collision detection for example. But I don’t think MS Paint would be a good tool for creating 2d graphics - especially when animated. Consider using Photoshop, The Gimp or at least Paintshop Pro or Picture Publisher for example. There you’ve got layers and stuff. Makes things much easier.

P.S.- If you cant make a game with paint and the blender game engine, could you at least tell me if its possible to make an rts with blender.

Well, it is possible to make a RTS in Blender - you could probably realize any game type you want - if you have enough skill, of course. Perhaps you should try some simplier things first instead of trying to do a RTS for the first time. Chances are that’ll be a bit too much for a newbie. Also, you would get more knowledge on Blender and learn how to use Blender for your graphics.

Take a look on top of this forum - there is are threads with links to lots of tools, tutorials and other useful things.

i have 2 more irrelevant questions…whenever I make a couple of mesh’s and take them out of edit mode, how do you choose just one mesh instead of having them all pink. And also my other problem is if i use a plane and extrude from it and make a square and put a lamp by it and render it, nothing comes up.

oh and a relevant question, is the gimp or whatever it is free and where can I download it. Whats it like? and what the crap is this python thing.

Ok, this kind of questions are usually answered in the Blender General Forum (http://www.elYsiun.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7). That’s a better place for non-game related questions. Selection is done with the right mouse button, you can select blocks with the ‘b’ key. In your special case I can’t tell why you can’t select single meshes, but I guess you’ve made them in just one single object. So best would be to go back into edit mode select the linked mesh you want to have as a separate object with ‘l’ (linked vertices) and separate it with ‘p’. Leave the edit mode and then you should have two (or more) different objects.

oh and a relevant question, is the gimp or whatever it is free and where can I download it. Whats it like? and what the crap is this python thing.

The Gimp is Free Software. Take a look at http://www.gimp.org/.
Python is a programming language that allows you to extend Blender’s functionality (Well, and program software in general.). Additionally it is used for scripting the game engine (http://www.python.org/).

sorry to ask yet another question, this is probably the last… does gimp have a game engine by itself, or do i need to import the images and stuff onto blenders game engine and work from there. If so would you know how I could do that…

thank you so much

Gimp is, as the original name already says, a General Image Manipulation Program. It’s a kind of de luxe version of MS Paint! :wink: Gimp doesn’t have a game engine. Gimp is a tool for painting, manipulating and enhancing graphics. There you’ve got different brushes, effects and a lot of other useful tools.
You mentioned that you probably wanted to create graphic in painting them in Paint. Gimp is a better option for this. You would create the images, save them in a format the Blender can read (e.g. .tga, .png or .jpg) and map them on simple planes which would be your game objects.
I think that some people have already done 2D games with the Blender Game Engine, so search this forum for 2D games or wait until somebody can provide you more information on this topic.