(Newbie question?) How to make a water puddle/ droplet with a specific shape?

Hello everyone,

I’m a graphic designer that just got into working with blender. This program is amazing and I’ve found the user interface to be pretty understandable for the most part, but I’m in the middle of doing a project that is driving me nuts… probably because I feel there’s a simple solution for it.

I’m working on a mock ad for a special type of water and the image I want is that of a couple drops/tiny puddles of water on a wooden interior floor, like the small puddles of moisture that drip from a cold drink bottle onto a surface.

And one of the drops has the specific shape of a woman doing yoga.

I initially thought this would be easy to do with a bit of reflecting, but it seems it’s not. I’m just a beginner in blender though, so that is probably the problem too.

What I’ve been doing is trying to create an outline and then “fill” it with a plane or trying to reshape a plane so i can add these effects to it, but, I’m not sure if that’s possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ve pretty much been sitting here all day trying to figure this one out.

Retopo Tool is what you want to use. It’s quick. With it, you can just trace / draw rough mesh outline and convert it to mesh. Fix up mesh that didn’t form right. Extrude the outer edge a little to give water puddle some thickness and round it all off with Subsurf Modifier.

Attachments

Thank a million, ridix. :slight_smile:

Ok, so I tried it and once I turn the retopo lines into a mesh, like you said, there were some parts that didn’t form. However, I’m not sure how to fix them. I reshape and add vertices, etc., but two things aren’t working:

It seems I can’t close the vertices together when I press “C” in edit mode, and also, the new vertices I add to not transform into mesh like the well-formed parts, so it is excluded in the final render. : \

I had few missing mesh as well. To fix it, select the vertexes than hit “F” to make a face. When I needed extra vertex for face, I just selected one of the edges and subdivided it. Also additional vertex can be extruded from vertex as well.

Gotcha. Okay, last question. How did you take the edge lines out from the inner parts of the outline after making the rotopo meshes?

Just go to Edit, Edge mode, select the edge, than hit Delete key. From Erase dialog box, choose Edges. Try it.