newbie question-textures, materials

(bobert_bl) #1

using blender 2.37 under linux.

how and where do i deposit a set of predefined materials or textures so that they are available for any blender project?

for example in F5 or F6 mode, is it possible to have a “preloaded” set of textures/materials that i can choose from and apply to an object. is there a way to point blender to such a directory?

as i understand it, any material i create is saved with the project in a .blend file and is not available to a new project.

can anyone point me in the right direction here. thanx

(nykysle) #2

Drag down the top edge of the 3D window to get to “user preferences” and the file path menu.
Or click on the “Current window type” icon in the header and select user preferences.

as i understand it, any material i create is saved with the project in a .blend file and is not available to a new project.

Only by appending it to the new project

(Fligh) #3

You can link them to a Fake User by pressing the F in the DataBlock. If you save a Material (F5) it will automatically save the texture(s) and mapping. If you save the Texture (F6) it won’t save the Material.
You can dedicate a .blend file as a repository for materials and texturea and Append them into the working file from there thru the Shft-F1 directory.

%<