Newbie question with subsurfaces.Help?

I’m using blender 2.41 and was going through the manual’s tutorial. When it came time to use the modifier and set smooth I noticed it had artifacts (if thats the right word) in the model. I tried recalculating outside normals; no success. I was reading in another post that you can enable view normals, but I don’t know how. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you still have artifacts in your mesh after recalcuating the normals, you usually have bad mesh topolgy or some doubles, (i.e. duplicate verts in the same place). Try removing doubles in EDIT mode and then recalculating your normals.

If that does not work, then you need to clean up your mesh and make sure you don’t have any tris or, as I said above, poor topology or mesh flow.

BgDM

I’ve narrowed the problem to the mirror modifier. If I mirror the gingerbread man the old way; no artifacts appear. But if I use the mirror modifier with the subsurface modifier I get dirt and artifacts on the model. Any Ideas why this happens :-?

Did you press apply on the modifier?

Putting the mirror modifier above the subsurf modifier in the modifier stack should fix this problem. That way it will calculate the mirror first then the subsurfacing.

I tried what you said and I still having problems. :frowning: