Newbie QuestionS

Hi all,

I’ve just started with Blender. Some questions which are probably easy but I can’t find an answer.

• How can I move the camera? This is not straightforward. I’m using NUM0 and then I RMB the external square to choose the camera and move it with KEYG. Can’t rotate it! This is a pain. Better would be if I’m viewing something, position the camera exactly to where I’m looking at. This would be nice.

• To create a ring, I’m using a NURBS torus, but it is hard to manipulate, shrink, etc… it has a lot of vertices. Is there a simpler way? Maybe using 2 cylinders and boolean operations?

• Is there any printable key reference card for Blender?

I think it is all for now.

Cheers,

Paulo Matos

Camera doubt: To rotate it, you must go on a certain view, then KEYR. It’s easy, you’ll find out exactly how it works, by rotating it many times.

Ring: Try making a Cylinder, and Extrude. Then click the screw or spin keys on the bottom part of the screen, continue that operation, until the end. Then, select the last vertices, and the first, and ALT+MKEY

That’s all I can tell you. Good luck.

“Better would be if I’m viewing something, position the camera exactly to where I’m looking at. This would be nice.”

You can. While looking at the view you want, hit Cntrl+Alt+NUM0 and the camera aligns to your view.

Edit. There’s also a camera “Fly Mode”. Hit NUM0, then Shift F. Left click is forward, middle click is back, spacebar stops.

I’ll try this. Thanks, although I don’t understand how I’ll obtain a ring by spinning a cylinder.

Great!
Very nice! :slight_smile:

Thank you Enzoblue for the fly mode, i didn’t know that.

Is there any printable key reference card for Blender?
I suppose you talk about that :
Hotkeys or that Blender Keyboard 2.4

i hope i have helped you

Little Wink tutorial I created on making a Torus (and other related spun/lathe objects).
http://schnellweb.ca/tutorials/spinning.htm
EDIT:
Aparently Opera (at least mine at work) is blocking port 70, which is what my server is running on…

if you select your camera, and then your subject (by shift+rmb). You can do spacebar>object>make track>old track.

I’m pretty sure this will make your camera face your subject all the time no matter which one is moved around.