[Newbie Workshop] Links to tutorials in thread are on pg. 1

JABayne - Could you post a larger render of it so we can see it better? I like how you mixed em all together just make it bigger.

From what I can see though it is looking good, as far as m0deling goes you are doing good, except for the sub-d on the body. But we can work with that. Either you make it without sub-d or for the back add another edge loop so that the rear area is sharper (the exhaust).

The other thing I can see is the rear fins are too long, in fact the whole thing might be a wee bit too long so bring that in a bit. And I see you got that little groove in the back…good job. Just needs the length fixed and your set. Oh yeah also the little boxes up top need to be added.

Traitor - I dont really use the auto smooth that much no…I do it manually as I go its just as easy for me. And also I feel like I have better control over it manually…

—What I have Been Noticing–

Ok guys here is what I have noticed so far from the people alread posting their work. A couple of you have this down which is good but others dont so listen close :slight_smile: You need to really examine what you are making before you actually set about making it. I have found that a project that is not well planned or examined is pretty much set for failure. For example crow, you are noticing alot of things on the picture you are making it from and you are putting them all in, the only problem is your m0deling is a little shaky. Whereas some of you are doing good at m0deling but you dont make what you see. I learned this the hard way, when I started working on the mod I work on, I would make a m0del and pretty much have to redo it because of all the detail I missed. Before joining the mod I would just rush through my m0del and tyr to get it done as quick as possible to get the finished product, and therefore missing loads of details. Now I tend to take my time and make sure I get as much detail as I can. Of course sometimes I choose to leave somethigns out, but if its because I am lazy I try to do it just to defy my laziness:) So yeah I guess I am just trying to stress how important making what you see is. Because really thats what makes the pro m0dels so amazing is because they take their time and do exactly what they see.

Improvement: my own design: thansk to the Alex_G for making me realize I need more detail, and themonkey for the ambience thing.

http://img317.imageshack.us/img317/4425/hellfiremissle2yk.png

hippl5- you definitly got alot more detail on there. But I would appreciate it if everyone could stayed focused on the hellfire missile. :wink: I dont want to be mean but if we all go off on our own designs it is just alot harder for me and other experienced users to crit it. With somethign that everyone can see (like the hellfire missile) we have something to compare too and strive for. Because we know what it is supposed to look like.

Ok… but since I saved this instead of the old one, could I use this for when you teach UV unwrapping? Or will you provide us with your missle model?

er… what, I didn’t post that

Just a note to say that I’m joining the noob crew on this thred.

Yeah, count me in as well. I’m new to the interface but love the 3D, would be great to get feedback from the Blender elite.:slight_smile:

I’ll work on the missle tomorrow.

cheers::bc

[quote=“themonkey”]

DanBoghean - Very very nice man, doesnt look likeyou used sub-d which brings many smiles to my face :slight_smile: The only thing on your m0del is just design the fins, dont have that large of a bevel on them. It is VITAL that you make it just like it is, or else it will look strange.

So the little boxes I think need to be bigger and like I said before the fins need to be unbeveled. And the back fins, the rear should be extruded once more and scale down a bit…look at the pic again.

After I rendered it, I noticed that the boxes need to be a bit bigger and the front fins didn’t look quite right. I’ll go ahead and fix those when I get back. Thanks for the input.

Update:

• redid the fins without bevel, smooth or sub-surf
  • made the front more spherical
  • modelled the rear of the missile
  • put the little hinges on the rear flaps

The main body and the triangular coupling thing on top still have sub-surf, for the moment.

Attachments

Welcome you newcomeers!

hippl5 you can keep it for UV mapping but I would also say make the real hellfire so that you can learn with that and then use what you learn on your own missile.

gozeman - very nice job, looks correct now :stuck_out_tongue: I dont think that the fins had that little piece under them that you put in, but I am pretty sure I know what you say that made you put it on. The bevel isnt a problem, you can bevel your fins if you want, I just wanted to point out that with sub-d on you were trying to make sharp edges when they could be created without the sub-d easier. Only thing that is bothering me now, is that vent thing up front between the front fins. Sharpen it up or take it off the sub-d, is what I am thinking.

Keep it up guys…soon we will start to unwrap this bad boy :smiley:

themonkey:
Could you maybe put up a list on the first post tell the newbs, who they are going to ask? aka, Pro-list :stuck_out_tongue:

Good idea markus :slight_smile:

Ok guys here is the “pro-list” lol

Feel free to direct the questions to any of us here, everything doesnt exactly need to be directed at me :P. Or you could just direct it to everyone…but yeah here it is.

-Enriq766

-Alex_G

-zog34

-[Kothe]

-Khnum

-themonkey

I will post this on the front page too.

And I am thinking thursday or friday we can start the Unwrapping portion, so if you need extra time just holler and we can wait.

.oO Hope i make it! Oo.

I’m in…! all new to this… been using it for about 2 weeks now, i think… the biggest thing i’ve made is this:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54859

i start work on the missile now…

Edit:: Now, made one, in 10 minutes or so…

Edit 2:: just put the things for attaching the rocket to the aircraft (i think that’s what they are for) and then i’ve made som seperations of the parts…

Attachments

Tjeiken glad you joined us :smiley:

I have some things for you. As I have posted before try to take off the sub-surf on the body of your missile. That or make each segment of the missile a seperat peice so that the gaps look cleaner, right now they look messy and you can see they dont go down far. On mine I made it each segment a seperate piece, and the gap looks nice and sharp…

The other thing is I think your fins are too thick, make them like they are on the real hellfire. They are quite thin on there, if you look at em.

Great start tho man!

Now, i’ve tried to follow your advices…
Seperated each part, and extruded them underneath each other.
And i’ve made the wings thinner.
I’ve also turned the missile, so you can see the attach-things…

Why does it become very wierd, when i press “set smooth”? it makes a lot of darker paths on the missile… - and it is not because of the normals (have checked it)… i have a suspicion (right spelling? ô_Ô) that it could be the creases that does the damage…

Now, here is a short description of how i did (hope for improvement from you =):
-Started out with a 32 pieces cylinder.
-Extruded, and scaled until it fit the shape of the missile
-Made one set of wings (one big, one small)
-Deleted 3/4 of the rocket, and spindup’ed the last 1/4 with the wings on
-Removed all doubles
-Extruded the attach-things from the body
-Made creases, where creases should be

Attachments

themonkey - well spotted, yes i was smoothing everything just like i have been using subsurf on everything, i understand now thanks to your pics. Ive seen that shading and wondered why i was getting it , it all makes sense now.
Thank you for starting this thread to help us all out and to others that are also helping.

Tjeiken -Looks much better with it sepereated. Your smoothing tho …isnt smoothed lol. Did you just raise the sub -d up alot? Here is a render of a couple different cylenders…I will explain more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/slinkysmeagol/963bc081.jpg

1 + 5 – they look the same but 5 is a 32 sided cylender with no sub-d and only smooth on it. 1 is a 10 sided cylender with sub-d on it. I wanted to show this because like there is no point in having 32 faces when something as little as 10 faces makes the same result, that is if you are going to use sub-d. 4 is a non sub-d cylender smoothed all the way, is this the problem your having tjeiken? 2 is the same as 1 just with the “sharp” sub-d edges but 3 looks much better than 2. I used 3 for the ends of my rocket…well the ends of the segments.

Ok so yeah if that made no sense its becuase I typed this up while watching napolean dynamite…so its not my fault :stuck_out_tongue:

Great thread. I’m not sure if this is what you meant by “adopt a newbie”, but here’s what came to my mind.

You know when people adopt a whale or something and then give money to help it through its medical treatment? well, what if a advanced blender user, (not saying it has to be one of the pros listed of course), helps walk a newbie through a couple of their projects, private messaging each other along the way? I think most new blender users who quit will quit because they can’t figure out basics.

Possibly people who want some help getting started could post their names. Then, advanced users could ask if the newbie would like them to be the one to “adopt them” temporarily. Maybe the mods could help with containing all the replies to one post somehow.

Anyway, if this does go anywhere, remember that you don’t have to be a newbie to ask for help. Say, f you wanted help with new features and such. Just ask! :smiley:

~Emfrobia

I feel honored to have been listed there, though I doubt I deserve it, BUT, I always respond to PM’s when anyone has questions about how to do something and have helped a few people out just like that. Feel free to contact me any time either via email or pm here. I’m really glad this thread was started as I know there will be lots of great info to come from it!! :slight_smile:

Hope it’s not to late, but I guess I could help out too (at least untill we get to uv-mapping, then I’ll have to joing the newbs :wink: )