[NEWS] Project Harmony - Better Dynamic Shadows for BGE is coming!

Today Kupoman (Daniel Stokes) posted it in Blender commiters mail list.

Greetings,

Phase one for the Harmony branch is mostly ready (some light polishing and
testing still required), and we would like to have it included as a target
for 2.62.

The original proposal for phase one of Harmony can be found
here<http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Kupoman/Harmony_Phase1>
The Code Review issue can be found here<http://codereview.appspot.com/5491068/>

Regards,
Daniel Stokes

From the wiki:

“The purpose of the Harmony project is to improve the Blender Game Engine’s rendering of light and shadows. The first phase of improvements will focus on the rendering and use of shadows. The scope of this phase includes a revised shadow panel, point light shadows, variance shadow maps, shadow cookies, and shadow color.”

I can’t think in a better Christmas gift!
Thanks Kupoman and Moguri! \o/ :smiley:

that is awesoooome! gotta grab a beer or something :smiley: toast!

I’m so excited

Yeah! That would be so awesome!

Ex.

downloads one of the test builds

This will be a HUGE improvement to BGE I think. Hopefully he’s working on optimization aswell ^^

Don’t forget Moguri’s also developing Harmony!

A build of Harmony can be found on graphicall:

This build has all the features outlined in the proposal except for point light shadows. I have the cubemap setup and rendering working, but the actual shader code has some strong artifacts making it impractical to use.

There is also one feature that was added that was not in the original proposal, and that is the ability for sun lamps to cast a shadow. Suns now have the option of casting orthographic shadows.

By the way, my last name has no ‘r’ in it :wink:

Absolutely awesome work, Kupoman. It’s people like you that make open-source software worthwhile. Thanks a lot, man.

Not to forget the Kupomans Bugfixing branch from the goc.
This is awesome, awesome, awesome!!! You moguri and kupoman rock!! Thank you very much for all this features!

OH yeah! I was about to start a thread, THANK YOU MOGURI AND KUPOMAN!!’
The soft shadows are WOW.
I just tested them on my scene(pretty complex), and amazing…the framerate its the same

It’s taken me two years of Blender usage to realise that you two share a surname; are you related? :wink:

I think they are brothers :slight_smile:
My guess ^^

I can’t wait for blender 2.62!

Thanks thanks thanks.

Fixed in first post xD

A build of Harmony can be found on graphicall:
http://graphicall.org/740

Great! Let’s try! \o/

This build has all the features outlined in the proposal except for point light shadows. I have the cubemap setup and rendering working, but the actual shader code has some strong artifacts making it impractical to use.

Some chance to fix or it will be removed from the project?

There is also one feature that was added that was not in the original proposal, and that is the ability for sun lamps to cast a shadow. Suns now have the option of casting orthographic shadows.

Maybe you can add Parallel-Split Shadow Maps in the Sun Light in future. It would be fantastic ^^

By the way, my last name has no ‘r’ in it :wink:

hahaha, sorry! I will fix it ^^

Guys, your work in BGE is AMAZING! Please just keep doing it!
Congrats!

If this won’t get in the trunk…them I will be so pissed off!
All the things that are done by Kupoman and Moguri should get in the trunk, anything.

-------And BTW ,phase 1 it’s almost done, what’s next?--------

Great job Moguri and Kupo.

I have tried the Build given in Post #6.
When I tried Simple Shadows, I got no Shadows at all. When I tried Variance Shadows, I got this:

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 (Drivers maybe not up to date)
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz
Windows Vista, 32 Bit

I dont think the branch it’s stable enough, the ATI RADEON GPU it’s the problem, try updating the drivers.

Now after a Driver Update the Variance Shadows work and look very good – now I can tell that the Bug I had before looked exactly like when the Bleed Bias is set to 1 (Maximum).
However, even now I have no Simple Shadows. (I guess that they are Blender’s usual Buffer Shadows, so they actually should be workin’ then.)

In My ATI 5850 Simple shadows don’t work too. But as a unstable version i can say, its really amazing!
Congrats Moguri and Kupoman!

Of Course, it is great Work!
However, I found another Obscurity that seems to be connetcted to the Sunlight’s Shadow Frustrum:

I am glad it works, I had a ATI and I hated it , just because blender.
Anyway…Newest catalyst drivers are fixing many many bugs.

Anyway, I wondering what’s next!!
Optimized lighting? Inferred shading? Overall improvements?