[NEWS] Project Harmony - Better Dynamic Shadows for BGE is coming!

Alright, simple shadows should be fixed for ATI cards in the branch now.

For the sun shadows, if you get artifacts past the frustum of the light, try rotating the light 180 degrees about its local z axis (r zz 180).

A proposal for phase 2 will be released once we figure out the details, but it will be focusing on the render pipeline.

My build on graphicall (http://graphicall.org/740) has been updated to include this.

I just tried it out myself. It’s really quite great what you guys have done. Variance shadow maps run very slowly on my computer (25 FPS on one simple scene with just a couple of cubes), but simple shadows run absolutely fine (~285 FPS on that same simple scene). Must be my graphics card (it’s not the best). Keep up the work, you guys!

What size are your shadow maps? I’ve found that simple shadow maps stay pretty consistent regardless of the size, but VSMs suffer much more from larger sizes. I would still like to tweak the algorithm (especially the blurring), and maybe squeeze a bit more performance out of it.

Weird , i am having exactly the same framerate (simple , or VSM) no difference at all…1440 sample, and the scene it’s COMPLEX and I am having 3 lamps with VSM (2 lamps 512 and 1 lamp 1440) , with bloom,distance blur enabled and still 60 fps.
GPU- GTS 450 1 GB

BlendingBGE disable the use framerate checkbox in the scene options, and see what frame rates you get now?

Thank you very much! Now i am having 75 fps!
VERY WEIRD, see the screens.

The screen with VSM has 72 fps, the screen with simple shadow has 62.
Thank you Stokes, the build its amazing.
Better visual with better fps…i couldnt believe that until now.

Attachments

Huh, you’re right, Moguri. I didn’t notice that my buffer size was set fairly high. I can use VLSM shadows on a sun lamp with a size of 2048 at around 80 FPS in a simple scene, but when I use 4096, it drops to 25 FPS. That’s cool, though, because I wouldn’t usually use such a large size for a sun lamp, anyway (512 or 1024 is alright with me).

ok im amped! wheres the link for this build?

Graphicall dot org and then you will see Harmony.

ok thanks i found it, also i cant get any of the lights to do anything like well cast light im in glsl mode and i can run glsl atleast int he normal build of blender

You must reformulate the sentence…

sry using the harmony build in multi texture mode the lights work fine but when i switch to glsl the lights dont do anything and the scene is dark and even if i apply materials to the objects it still doesnt work and glsl works in the regular build of blender.

Hm. What kind of graphics card do you have? Also, is Blender in Textured mode?

im using a well its a built in graphics on a intel centrino core 2 duo 2.5 ghz dual core 2 gigs of ram and ya i im in textured mode

I see where the problem is,…the GPU , even if it will work you won’t get any decent framerate.
Built in GPU and GLSL…no chance, but you can try to update or install some drivers.

GLSL isn’t supported fully by integrated chipsets, so you’d need a graphics card to actually use it unfortunately.

but glsl works just fine in the normal build of blender 2.60a so why wouldnt it work in this build?

I presume that the new shadows leverage a later opengl standard, unsupported by the chipset.

even just lights? darn ok ill try to see if there is a newer driver or something