Next-Gen GPU

You believe whatever version of reality you want to create that fine, you want to ignore several AIBs who made public statements regarding the choice of capacitor that’s fine.

You want to recycle the conspiracy nonsense that it’s all a plot against nVidia that’s fine, you’re now shouting in an empty room.

The 2990WX was excellent value for money for those doing physics sims and Arnold rendering I know many people who bought this CPU.

It’s limitation was single core speed but it was excellent in multithreaded applications.

The improvement AMD has brought to the CPU business has been nothing short of phenomenal and a Zen 3 16 core should provide similar cinebench scores to the 2990 without the single core speed limitation.

Its limit was the horrible memory bandwidth shared between all the CCXs it performed horribly in multi threaded apps as well 2950x beat it in a lot of cases

Source? Show your workings…

A simple google will bring up plenty

You said ‘2990WX was a bad CPU and doesnt perform well in most applications.’

What do you mean by ‘most’ applications?

The memory bandwidth constraints of the 2990WX only became noticeable in server applications. AMD gave people a superb multicore chip that was a fraction of the cost of Intel’s nearest equivalent, it offered unmatched price/performance for creators which is who it was marketed at.

AMD knobbled its memory bandwidth so it didn’t cannibalise the EPYC.

I could also say about you by turning the question the other way around.
When I tend to see a composition of targeted facts, I tend to make associations that from my point of view reveal a plot that makes sense.
You don’t, you just call them conspiracies, even pretending to have evidence, as if these corporations are stupid enough to get into exposition so easily.

Even if these facts turn out to be unfortunate coincidences for one or fortunate coincidences for its opposite, the result does not change, “the balance” (which previously had been too biased in one’s favor) has become less dramatic now, for his opposite, called competition.

I believe more in well-targeted intelligence movements that tend to facilitate this type of occurrence and not in fate or luck that puts the cards back into play. :wink:

Last I checked, that particular chip was explicitly designed to be a “halo” chip for workstations (meaning for people who do things that can actually use that many threads). You would have to be crazy to use it for games and other work that makes use of few threads.

It is true though that the performance boost over the non WX chips was not as high as it could’ve been, but it does look like AMD has been pounding on the bottlenecks as what we are seeing with Zen2 and soon with Zen3.

Funny how there are people still trying to make this much ado about nothing. They benchmarked and stressed tested the card after the update and everything was perfect. Still the fastest GPU on the market and amazing blender render speeds.

Results speak for themselves. Everyone else sounds petty.

1 Like

Seems like the 3070 should be the same speed as the 2080Ti. Nice.

1 Like

@Infograph As you can see, as was foreseeable (and also well planned with the times), after the dampering of the spirits with the media fuss of defective hardware, the second part starts to catch up with the competition … Now start the phase of the media release of speculation about the possible specifications of the next competing hardware to come…
…So still can’t see the games behind the scenes? … :smirk:
this is excellent intelligence work, nothing is left to chance.

1 Like

If it’s your intention to make yourself look as out of touch as possible you’re doing an absolutely superb job. Well done, full marks to you.

The type of video you laud as somehow linked to some nefarious anti-nVidia ‘intelligence work’ are the types of video that are typical in the run up to a CPU or GPU launch. Speculation about Ampere and Big Navi has been ramping up steadily for over 6 months. The Ampere speculation reached a peak prior to its launch and now Big Navi is coming the speculation is ramping up for that.

A modicum of research would’ve given you copious examples of similar videos prior to previous releases of both nVidia and AMD GPUs. This is standard fayre, there is nothing special or different about what is going on here, there is no conspiracy against nVidia.

The irony is not lost on me that you chose to use a Coreteks video, someone who has consistently said Big Navi is not so big and says it’s only going to compete with a 3070. Again full marks for being clueless. Coreteks also speculated that Ampere was going to have a ‘Traversal Coprocessor’ to accelerate Ray Tracing. That ‘intelligence work’ turned out to be complete bollocks though. Oh hang on, you’re already thinking that was part of the AMD master plan to take the shine off the Ampere launch when it was discovered there was no coprocessor! Look how easy it is to write complete crap!

In about 18 months to 2 years expect it all to happen again as details of new GPUs start leaking and Coreteks, RedGamingTech and AdoredTV all start speculating about relative performance again. Repeat ad infinitum…

Oh came on, now am I doing good intelligence work? really? wow, I didn’t think I was that smart …

There is no way to convince you, it is not right Coreteks, there are many others who are starting right now to speculate on the reactions of the competition to the new Ampere, this is perfectly normal, but this is not what is relevant, are the times well targeted and calculated relevant, this operation is so evident, now the media fuss will focus on creating curiosity and ambition on the competition GPU, and like the previous phase, it is all to curb the enthusiasm on the nvidia and drag them on the competition, rebalance everything. And this will increase until they prepare the gpu, and they will make the official announcement (probably as soon as possible), which will probably be something of “two or three gpus” insert the same silicon, to reach comparable computing power, because this is the simplest thing do in less time.

The Big Navi speculation has been going at full speed for 6 months. Have you seriously not noticed?AMD is going to announce Big Navi on 28th October this date has been known for at least a month FFS! It will be absolutely no surprise to anyone with a single functioning braincell that AMD will announce high end GPUs (Navi 21), mid range GPUs (Navi 22) and entry spec GPUs (Navi 23). Just like it was absolutely no surprise that nVidia announced the same tiers of GPUs earlier.

You will probably be surprised to learn AMD is going to announce details of their Zen 3 CPUs later this week! Just like the Navi launch it will be of no surprise to the vast majority of people who follow the subject, probably only you!

Congrats, you’ve made it to my ignore list. You are either incredibly out of touch or you are trolling and as such not worth conversing with any longer. Jog on.

The real speculation is not the Big Navi itself, but its size … that surely in October nobody knew or imagined it because it was not expected, it probably did not exist.

Ampere Part Nos.

Interesting video. I like how he measures and calculates. A big part of the die could be the new infinity cache they are having which is 128MB of RAM on the GPU chip. They say this makes it seem like the bus size performs like it has way more bits than it actually does. If true it is a smart move as running 256 wires to have a 256bit bus is way easier than running 320 wires. It is crazy to think there is 320 wires going from the memory of the gpu to the gpu.

In another leak I heard that RDNA 1 had a hardware issue that was making it bad for certain things. In RDNA 2 they have supposedly tested it way more, fixed the hardware problem, and it should be way more stable.

All in all I’m expecting Big Navi to beat the 3080 in speed and price at a price of $550 for the 16GB version. Nvidia is going to get their butts majorly kicked this time and they know it. It is why they pushed the 3080 so hard and lowered the price so much over 2080 ti. There should be a huge number of Big Navi cards at launch. If there is a video card shortage of Big Navi it will be because of the large number of huge scalper groups that are making artificial shortages of things like the xbox series x, ps5 presales, certain sneakers, and other things.

From the 3080 selling out so fast was when I discovered how bad the scalper problem got. It is getting so bad there should be a new rule that says no item can be sold for more than 10% over MSRP. This would instantly shut down all scalpers.

Nvidia Says 3xxx Deficit For All 2020 :frowning:

If you really try hard one can be had probably by end of October, but for the rest of us that don’t want to work so hard it probably will be a year before we can just buy one at any time. Hopefully Big Navi will ease this by being super good. We can thank huge scalper groups for a big part of this shortage.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s just a scalper problem, the 8nm Samsung node that nVidia chose is nowhere near as advanced and mature as TSMC’s 7nm node which means nVidia is dealing with a shortage of usable dies coming off the production line.

The Infinity Cache news is interesting, is Infinity Cache just as huge cache to overcome bandwidth deficiencies of using DDR6 instead of HBM2 or could it have deeper uses like storing Ray Tracing scene data such that the GPU only has to ray trace moving objects while static objects positions are stored in the cache?