Next-Gen GPU

At work we have Quadro RTX 4000 and in CUDA at least they perform equal to my two GTX cards at home. I should do the optix comparision too.

But I quite agree waiting will be good idea for getting a less crazy space heater.

Stunning if true. if true

I can’t wait to see how @Nirved’s OpenCL compiler optimisations go with AMD’s new GPUs. If these figures are true then shader performance looks like it could be awesome. If true!

3DMark in Ultra-HD - Benchmarks of the RX 6800XT with and without Raytracing appeared | igor´sLAB

Nice. And there is even faster 6900XT. No wonder Nvidia is so nervous

1 Like

Rightly so, (if these numbers are true) I can’t see AMD charging £1700 for their 3090 level GPU.

2 Likes

3070 destroys 2080Ti in Optix rendering:

I won’t be surprised if 3060Ti proves to be faster in Optix than 2080Ti as well.

Meanwhile, AMD is revealing their new Radeons now. if their benchmarks end up being accurate, then the company actually did it, they now have beaten (or at least tied) both Intel and Nvidia in terms of performance.
https://hothardware.com/news/amd-unveils-radeon-rx-6800-radeon-rx-6800-xt-and-radeon-rx-6900-xt

All that they need now are high quality drivers that can do justice for the cards. Otherwise, it is quite possible we will see sizable price drops for Nvida Ampere.

1 Like

I didn’t see a single mention for creative professionals in the amd event, all about gaming…

Looks like each one is focusing on something different:

• AMD -> gaming
  • Nvidia -> creative professionals
  • Intel -> …
1 Like

Is there a big difference in performance between gaming and content creation?

If only DCC devs gave more consideration to OpenCL/Vulkan, then maybe I might consider an AMD GPU…

the APIs used, makes the big chunk of the difference.

While on the gaming side both AMD and Nvidia are leveraging the exact same APIs (DirectX, Vulkan, OpenGL), on the DCC “offline” rendering side they are different.

AMD use OpenCL while Nvidia use CUDA and Optix.

Source: https://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-rendering-performance/

As an example the RX 5700 XT beats the RTX 2060 in gaming but falls behind in rendering (OpenCL vs CUDA) add Optix to the mix and it’s no longer a fair comparison :slight_smile:

Now we just have to wait for benchmarks. AMD is sponsoring development, so there’s certainly things in the works that can elevate these new cards to competitive territory. The biggest question is just when those will be realized in master.

2 Likes

Pretty sure AMD has been sponsoring development for a couple of years now.
Blender Today has made a point in saying, “if a corporation donates money to the Blender Foundation one requirement is that they can’t say what we use it for”.

Me tin-foil hat wearing: Obviously it’s been used to help Optix. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: J/K kinda :grin:

1 Like

Most of Optix related stuff was contributed by NVIDIA themselves.

Blender 2.81

Blender 2.82

1 Like

Implementation is one thing. Keeping them up and running and adding new features is another.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen multiple patches with a core Blender developer listed as the creator.
“Function “X” now runs “X” percent faster while using Optix.

Hence why I said “most”.

Nvidia lays the foundation and Blender devs build on top of it.

1 Like

Hi, I read in a German journal AMD use Smart Memory Access and Rage (Auto OC) boost performance 2-13% on a Ryzen 5000 and 500 board only.
Does this meant if you use an Intel CPU or an older AMD board you loose this?
It is, more or less, the plus on performance they show in the benchmarks vs. Nvidia cards. Hm.

Cheers, mib
EDIT: https://www.heise.de/news/AMD-stellt-Big-Navi-vor-Radeon-RX-6900-XT-konkurriert-mit-Geforce-RTX-3090-4941862.html

We’ll know once reviews are done, on November 18th when the 6800 gets released.

My expecation is, Rage will work either way (just auto OC.) smart memory access, yeah, that might be not fully available on Intel systems.

RX6800 faster than RTX3070 in raytracing:

2 Likes

Seems like prices of the RTX 3070 is coming up. Not looking good. In Sweden its about 600€ or usd $700. I was hoping it would be cheaper.

Let’s hope RTX 3060 will be affordable when it comes out.

RDNA2 ray-tracing plans emerge at the rendering meeting:

• New RDNA2 cards support hardware raytracing. AMD is working on adding support for this in Cycles, based on the OpenCL kernels. Patch planned to become public in some weeks from now.
  • Cycles developers will review design and patches.

+some other interesting stuff.

Hopefully it wont take ages to get these features into master for AMD’s sake.

11 Likes