"Nice evening, I hope someone walks by soon "

Based on a concept by Teo Skaffa.

I envision this as being the moment right before Teo Skaffa’s painting, where the Kuchisake-onna is still perched and waiting.

This is partially because this scene pushed my GPU beyond its maximum limits, this video took 6 hours to render at 100% GPU usage, 100% VRAM usage, 95% RAM usage, and my CPU running at a not-at-all concerning 85 degrees :sweat_smile: I’m finalizing building a new, extremely powerful, computer this week, so I should be able to do a lot more in Blender very soon :slight_smile:

The background, which also colors the volumetrics, I hand-painted:

Some behind-the scenes shots:

From left to right: with volumetrics, without volumetrics, clay render

The bushes were made with metaballs. It’s a very simple shader, let me know if you want to see it.

All the shading is procedural, the fence material in particular was really fun to make.

The fireflies and moths use two separate boid systems, based on real-world observations. The fireflies move slower, have more personal space, and are less goal-driven; the moths are more clumpy, move faster, and are more attracted to the light.

All in all this took about 5 hours to make, it took longer to render than it did to set the render up :sweat_smile:

I intentionally made the head movements of the Kuchisake-onna very jerky and un-smooth with a Stepped Interpolation modifier. This, combined with the perfect rigidness of the rest of her, creates an extremely unsettling effect, which is exactly what I was going for.

thumbnail

74 Likes

She’s beautiful, no, really – and I have some nice hard candies here, just in case. :wink:

1 Like

What a fascinating cryptid, right? I would love to learn more about why hard candies, specifically :thinking:

Very good job on this. I love the semi-realistic NPR look.

The background is awesome as well!

4 Likes

Thank you friend, I appreciate your kind words :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool image. :+1:

BTW, I am interested to see shader for bushes.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: Here you go! It has a tendency to break and create phantom transparency in bad places, but by very strategically positioning the metaballs, you can get around it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Yeah, I really enjoy yokai stories in general. I don’t know why candies. The myth has so many different versions, and some of them relatively recent, that I’m not even sure the candy dates back to the Edo period. Something that’s also interesting is that kuchisake-onna had an urban legend revival in the late 70s – apparently a nationwide panic was set off about a modern version who killed children in specific, and that sign of yours reminded me of that.

I really like your scene, it’s very atmospheric.

1 Like

This is fascinating, thanks for sharing this info! You clearly know more about this topic than I do :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thanks man, always an honor :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

2 Likes

:smiley:

In print, the legend of Kuchisake-onna in dates back to at least as early as 1979. The legend was reported in such publications as the Gifu Prefecture newspaper Gifu Nichi Nichi Shinbun on 26 January 1979, the weekly publication Shukan Asahi on 23 March 1979, and the weekly news magazine Shukan Shincho on 5 April 1979.[11] Rumors about Kuchisake-onna spread throughout Japan, creating hysteria to the point that young children would sometimes be accompanied by members of parent–teacher association groups while walking home from school.[2][12]

1 Like

Thanks, have a great weekend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love this, Joseph! Great atmosphere and story suggestion. Love the animation with the fireflies too. :heart:

1 Like

Thank you friend, I appreciate your constant kindness :slight_smile:

My old computer sure didn’t :sweat_smile: I was really considering just doing a still render and calling it a day, but I put a lot of work into the two behavior patterns for the moths and the fireflies that I didn’t want to go to waste. Now that I have a new computer with 8 times as much RAM and an actually recent GPU, I might revisit this scene and try to add the missing character :thinking:

1 Like

Probably my favorite thing about this project was learning so much more about this cryptid/yokai from you and @piranha4D . I honestly knew nothing about it until I saw the 2D concept, and I’m delighted that I’ve learned so much as a result of doing it in 3D. You’re welcome to share fascinating facts on any and all projects of mine! :wink:

2 Likes

i really love it great work, was this done in eevee or cycles also i’m wondering did you light the scene with hdri with the hand painted sky ? or was it added later and lighting only done with the spot lights and sun ?

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: I used Eevee- I use Eevee exclusively for stylized work, although I do use Cycles for baking sometimes.

The lighting is 99% just a sun light- there’s no HDRI, and while there are quite a few other lights, they’re just for volumetric effect. I’ve set the painted sky as the world background, as you can see, but it’s not lighting the world at all

1 Like