nice script : bevel on selected vertices

From a french author, Loïc Berthe (loic.bertheATlilotux.net) , released under Blender Artistic License

http://www.zoo-logique.org/3D.Blender/newsportal/attachment.php/3D.Blender/71107/1/bevel_center.py

Posted on :
http://www.zoo-logique.org/3D.Blender/newsportal/index.php

Nice script indeed, thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

Are there any docs for this? How do you use it? Thanks jms. This will be a great tool to use.

I’ve made a new version, which is available here

changelog :

• new undo system
  • pb with subsurf fixed
  • some clean-up in the code

Usage :

• select some vertices
  • quit edit mode
  • launch the script ( you will find it in /misc/bevel center if you put this script in your python directory)
  • click on bevel
  • adjust the thickness slider

You can click on recursive to smooth the bevel, but this is still experimental. Sometimes some faces can go into their neighbours. The script will display a limit you can try in rem. double, but this is not always sufficient.

Enjoy.

Regarding overlapping faces, I’ve solved that problem in the built-in bevel function, you could have a look there to get some ideas (in editmesh.c). Though it’s tightly integrated in the bevelling distance calculations, so it might not be that useful to you.

Martin

This script is good. I wish the built-in bevel did selective bevelling like this.

Or does it and I just haven’t understood the function well enough?

Regards
Caleb

Loïc or jms,

This script is good in itself, but it suggests a useful, generalized modification. The routine for making faces from a list of vertices, which this script has – I think it could be extended to ‘paving’ faces over a field of selected (faceless) vertices. Not necessary for the routine to be successful in all cases, either. In many situations, I would be glad to build the last faces by hand, after a script had first covered a majority.

Only if you feel inclined, of course
-l

I think it´s a good idea for a new script.

Ah ha! It works great for me now. Thanks Elby.