Nintendo DS Materials

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the materials as something about it just doesn’t seem to be right for me…

DS.blend (1010 KB)

my first suggestion would be to turn on some lights. After looking at some pictures of a DS I would also say that your model is too “smooth” maybe sharpen up some of the edges. As for the material it seems too glossy (or spectacular is too high if BI). Maybe add some noise as a bump map to give it a little texture.

The whole model appears to be shaded “smooth”, making an otherwise good model look awful. As a quick fix you could add an edge split modifier.

Also you have your “world” material set to a velvet shader - not sure why?

EDIT: I noticed you’re using a glossy shader with some roughness for the casing. Such a dark scene might benefit from some diffuse shader via a mix shader.

The screens’ material can have the image feed into an emission shader, rather than a diffuse (can be used to make some really nice effects with Cycles). LCD screens tend to give off a blueish light, so a mix shader with a second (stronger) emission shader with a very light blue colour might look nice.

How’s this? :

Yeah that looks great! Did you fix up the SD slot at the top too? (looked a little weird before).
My only concern is adding the tiny little holes in the top screen to represent the speakers, i don’t want to use the boolean tool as it makes it really deformed…
Also someone mentioned adding a bump map but to be honest i have 0 experience in using them, you would think for a year of me using Blender i would know a tad more/make better models haha! :).

I didn’t change the mesh at all, so that’s all your own modeling work. The mesh is really good on the whole, I get what you mean about not wanting to deform it. You could create (six?) cylinders and place them where you want the speaker holes to be “cut out”, then use a boolean modifier (“difference” option) to create them. There is nothing forcing you to apply it, so your mesh would still be clean.

I used to cut holes in flat faces like this to avoid loads of loop cuts:

However, since we now have Bmesh I would just hit F and use an Ngon.

Bump maps and normal maps aren’t difficult to use; there are a ton of tutorials online. Applying a noise texture to the normals to simulate a slight “crackle” on the plastic case should be easy enough to do, I’ll try to post an example shortly.

I would also recommend you have a look at my favourite modifier of all, the bevel modifier. You could smooth out the square edges of your mesh and start moving towards photo-realism :yes:

Ok look you need an HDRI environment texture. Nintendo DS’s are shiny and reflective. Not this matte thing you got going on now. Should only need a Mix shader with diffuse and glossy to get a near perfect material. Second your object is black so you really need to again use an HDRI as a background. Just google HDRI and there are tons of em.

This DS is a great object to start trying to do realistic rendering on. It doesn’t have tons of detail and it is made of simple shapes like cubes and cylinders. I don’t think you need a bump map on this at all. DS’s have no texture. They are glossy with a mirror finish. No need for any textures other than those on the buttons and the screen and any other text on it.

You need to have the screen textures on an emit material and either have that mixed with a glossy or have a plane over it that is either a glass material or a mix of transparent and glossy with both colors set to max white.

Hope this helps.