NLA Editor Managing Actions

Im just learning this side of animation and I would be grateful if someone could give me some advice abou using actions to build an animation.

Ive a number of poses which I have keyframed and I’ve turned these into a number of actions. I can move these around and stack these in the NLA and im figuring out slowly how to blend these. My main question is this - if I have say three NLA tracks with actions on them which I have blended together to give one overall animation is there anyway I can merge these three actions into one actions which takes account of how I have blended the other actions? I though maybe metastrips were for this purpose but when I selected all my actions on the different strips and created a metastrip it simply seemed to turn each action into its own metastrip rather than condensing them down ot one action strip.

Is there some way to do this or am I missing something about how the NLA is used? It seems an obvious step to turn blended together actions into one action.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Baking:
Select the Action strips you want to merge.
In 3D View header, select Object / Animation / Bake Action.
Play with the settings, press OK
This creates a new Action, which you can Push down in the NLA. The downside is that it creates a key for every frame, so editing the curves later in GraphEditor is not easy.

Another way:
Copy / Paste keyframes from one action into the other manually:
Note that in the second action the aniimation channels need to be present (so press I on the first frame to set a key in the according channel if not present)
Select the action which you want to copy.
Press TAB to go into Edit mode (turns green)
In the Action Editor (DopeSheet–>ActionEditor), select all the keys and copy them into buffer
Go to the other action, Edit mode, paste them on the desired frame.

Of course this only works, if the actions weren’t blended in with Replace as Blending mode. Add, Multiply etc. effects aren’t taken into account by transferring the keys over… then you would have to stick with the first method (baking).

[QUOTE]Of course this only works, if the actions weren’t blended in with Replace as Blending mode. Add, Multiply etc. effects aren’t taken into account by transferring the keys over… then you would have to stick with the first method (baking)./QUOTE]
Edit: I meant:
…if the actions WERE blended with Replace as Blending mode…

many Thanks for the clear and helpful reply. I’ll try this out tonight.

I think this is something that the Devs might want to look at, since it’s quite a natural thing to want to do.

Still cant bounce actions strips, what a bummer