No images found to bake to...

Of all the problems you encounter now and then in Blender, this has got to be one of the most annoying and mindboggling of them all.:spin:

So what I’m wondering is, do any of you have a checklist you go by when the problem occurs?
What I’ve tried is;

-making several new images.

-deleted all materialID’s. and made new ones+ applied (down to one for testing)

-Done new unwraps (I have backups ofc)

-Made several new materials

-Assigned the images from my UV editor via mappings in materials

-tried both with and without material and with and without nodes.

-Via the UV assign functions they are all opaque, have tex, and also collisiondetect + even tried twosided altough all my normals are as should be.

-restarted Blender several times during the process aswell to “clean up” my file

-I’ve been selecting the faces I know used to have another matID than the main to ensure they are all the same.

What I don’t understand is that I can happily paint all over my map, so it’s clearly there with correct mappings and all

It should all be very simple…add Suzanne, unwrap, goto texeditor, select random image or create new, then bake the AO. monkeygirl doesn’t even need a material assigned to do this.

I am aware of the “bug” concerning doing an AO bake before doing normals
I’m talking about the AO bake in itself here, so that’s not it.

(Yesterday I had a similar problem on another model, when two faces were lacking an ident showing up as grey spots in my Nmap and black spots in my AOmap, something that only wanted to solve itself by selecting those two faces first, then the rest, then making a new image before the bake. )

I’ve spent quite some time on this problem now, and also since I had that problem yesterday, I’m getting that good old physical reaction, you know too much coffee, even though it’s been atleast 6 hours since the last cup.
Oh wait… maybe that’s it… I’ll get back to this after a cup of coffee and some more trial and error
So if one of you wizards out there can put down a tip or two in this thread while I go do that, it would be much appreciated. sends box of cookies in advance

Edit: My temporary fix: New scene, append object, bake the map, recieve cake. (still not much wiser though, apart from that I actually remembered to save the baked map lol)

This can be incredibly frustrating when you know you’ve done everything right. I assume you’ve seen the simplistic* list at the wiki, but just in case:

If you get the error “No images found to bake to”, check the following:

  1. The object is selected
  2. Ensure there is a new image (with UV test grid) loaded for baking.
  3. If Step 1 does not work although object meets all criteria in that Step, switch to Object mode, select the object, and try to bake.
  4. Try Image->New again in the UV editor and bake to AO before anything else.

Another trick I have seen is to join your mesh temporarily with another disposable mesh, then separate them and try baking. This suggests the original mesh is looking corrupted to the render-baking code; it occurs to me that a Ctrl-A -> Apply Scale/Rotation MIGHT fix it?

*I wrote that original page and I think it sorely needs updating. If you don’t mind, it would help if I could have a copy of your non-working file (pack textures) so I can take a look. Also what version of Blender are you using and on what system?

http://www.geocities.com/darkcgi/bake.swf
check this i just made this for you maybe it will help
just right click and hit save link as it is a shock wave video

Hi again, thanks for replying.
Yeah, I’ve been trying the wikiway, so things should have been done properly.
I solved the problem by importing the object by itself into an empty scene in a separate instance of Blender, I’ll retry later with the whole scene and see if I can figure out what has went wrong.
Right now it ain’t much of a problem since it’s not relying that much upon the specific scene settings, so it’s only a crude fix really.
To try it out, I also tried the join-separate with a UV sphere I randomly added. it didn’t seem to work for me, neither did clearing of parent/applying of scale. might be that I’ve done something funky to my scene shrugs I did an -add new empty scene and doing a link to the object aswell, but that didn’t work either.
I suspect that it’s some conflict of sorts between objectdata, since I made some copypasta. Version is the 2.48 vanilla, and OS is Vista 64.
A rebuild of the scene should be fast and I recon that fixes it altogether.

Edit:An append of the entire scene worked aswell actually, that’s even better.

I have been having the same trouble on Ubuntu 64 bit using 2.48a and svn.
I tried all these then gave up:-

  1. The object is selected
    2. Ensure there is a new image (with UV test grid) loaded for baking.
  2. If Step 1 does not work although object meets all criteria in that Step, switch to Object mode, select the object, and try to bake.
    4. Try Image->New again in the UV editor and bake to AO before anything else.

Move the object to layer 1, that always works for me :slight_smile: For some reason Blender has trouble baking on layers other than 1.