No layout save button?

Why does Blender save the instance of a layout? there is no actual save button… this means if im working in a layout and I re-size some window, when I go back to that layout the re-sized windows will be the last things saved. That is backwards. There should be a save button that only saves the state of the layout at the time the save button is pressed, not the instance of a layout…

There should be a save button that only saves the state of the layout at the time the save button is pressed, not the instance of a layout.
The layouts are saved in the bled file so if you change a layout and save your file those changes are saved. If you always want to have the starting layouts don’t change them, make new custom ones

I think what you’re looking for is the equivalent of “Workspaces” in Adobe programs (Photoshop, After Effects). There is something like this in Blender, called “Screen Layout.” It’s at the top of your default Blender window. You can create specific layouts if you like, and save them for later use.

You might already know this, however, and are hoping that there’s a way to return to the original layout once you’ve moved things around a bit. The best way to do that, in my opinion:

1. Before you move things around, click the ‘+’ next to the current Screen Layout
  2. Change the name from “Default.001” to “Custom” or something like that
  3. If you want to get back to the original layout, just switch back to “Default” in your Screen Layout.

You can do this with any sort of layout, of course. Also note that Ctrl+[Right Arrow] and Ctrl+[Left Arrow] will jump between layouts, so you can move around pretty quickly once you get used to it.

I know how to use I have been using it like that for months but it is useless to me becuase it keeps overwriting my original window setups. I don’t understand why everyone is fine with this… I think I’m literally the only 1 of millions of Blender users who finds this annoying. There should be a way to save the current state of the layout and it only changes when you press save again. (which would require a whole different UI for it complete with an actual save button.

for example say I set up a UV mapping window, and while in that view I move one of the windows out a little to see what I’m doing better. suddenly I switch to an animation view, now when I switch back to the UV mapping view the window that I moved out a little to see something better is now moved out… but I want it to be in the state that I first save it in.

If someone could post a video of how they use the layout system it would be helpful because I don’t understand it, it doesn’t make sense to me that a layout will auto save every windows re-size.

Hmm. Are you going to bring this up every two months now?

Oh aren’t you the little detective

I think I really am the only person who thinks this is a bad system for saved layouts, every else thinks this is just the best, smh

Blender is open source. If you don’t like the way it works, start coding. If you can’t code, there are people who will do it for you :slight_smile:

1. Open the default .blend file and create your layout[s] how you prefer them.
  2. Save it as the new default .blend file
  3. Play around in Blender, do the thing you do, etc.
  4. If you want to reset your UI:
    4a. Open Blender or start a new Blender file (get the default .blend)
    4b. Ctrl+O to open a file
    4c. Uncheck the “Load UI” button
    4d. Open your .blend file. The UI will now be as you always wanted it (as you defined for your default .blend)

In other words, your layout IS saved, but it will take maybe 3 clicks to get to it rather than just 1. If you do want to code things, you should look into that “Load UI” feature. Basically you want that to be disabled ALL THE TIME.

For what it’s worth, if you dig through an After Effects’ preference files, you’ll find a folder called “OriginalUserWorkspaces” and another one called “ModifiedWorkspaces.” In theory, each has a copy of a workspace with the same name, so you can always jump back to the workspace as it was originally created. I’m sticking with my theory that you’ve used this in After Effects and want it in Blender.

You are amazing! Thanks I will be faster at Blender now