No more of the following posts

Hi everyone,

Recently, I have found myself infuriated with the number of BGE development related posts.

This statement seems very much wrong in an open source environment, but it is demonstrative of the irrelevance of such posts. The majority of threads related to “BGE dev” / “Help the BGE” topics are written by those unfamiliar with the BGE internals, and increasingly non developers (in the Programming sense of the word). For this reason, they speculate on an issue that they are frequently inexperienced with, and further do not have the means to deal with.

For example, a thread regarding an HTML 5 player. This proves to be difficult on several arenas. Firstly, there is no one-to-one mapping from the video and audio code in the BGE at present to HTML 5. This is why such “ports” take so long in the first place. Secondly, the main issue regarding stalled BGE development is an irregular development team who struggle at present to manage the code base. Adding another system that depends upon the internals is a sure way in which to exacerbate this sluggishness.

I have no objections to threads that suggest new features, or features that could be improved, but lets keep those in isolation and relevance. We do not need four different threads regarding crowd funding and other hare-brained schemes.

I agree.

A week or so ago, it was just getting out-of-hand. Maybe we can split this forum into two, one for people having actual technical problems with the BGE and another for general discussion about the BGE or relevant gaming discussion. There’s always a “can I make x game in BGE”, random idea threads, etc.; they’re somewhat distracting. We probably need a FAQ thread stickied, which I think you’ve just answered the two examples I’ve mentioned.

Well, we need to take into account the fact that this community tends to have some people who think they have a working knowledge of the internals, but don’t. This seems to be more acute in the BGE forums because there’s more kids who may not fully understand programming yet (how can you possibly know how the BGE internals work if you haven’t yet learned the Python API for use in your own games?).

Second of all, if you’re infuriated, then you should go into the threads themselves and tell them why the thread they made is irrelevant or created from a lack of knowledge. Also, with BluePrintRandom in general, he did say that he has up to three different mental conditions and one of them can lead to unhealthy obsessions with a subject or concept (hence, why he feels he needs to advertise project Wrecktified everywhere due to a belief it will ‘save the BGE’).

The BGE doesn’t really have a “development team” - a few people submit a few patches here and there.

But yea, I share your frustration with all these “BGE development” threads, not just because they’re made by people who are generally uninformed, but because those people also don’t understand that feature X wouldn’t really help them.

Although, sometimes these threads can have comedic value, but I guess it depends on your mood. :smiley:

I’m not attempting to isolate and accuse individuals, this is just an overall observation!

The BGE doesn’t really have a “development team” - a few people submit a few patches here and there.

But yea, I share your frustration with all these “BGE development” threads, not just because they’re made by people who are generally uninformed

Although, sometimes these threads can have comedic value, but I guess it depends on your mood. :smiley:

Perhaps we should establish a mapping of “BGE terms” to “real terms”. For example, BGE team refers to the informal development of dfelinto, moguri, kupoman and campbell.

because those people also don’t understand that feature X wouldn’t really help them.

I don’t know how else to make this point!

The situation a week ago was also a good example that the BGE side of Blender tends to attract more kids without an understanding of how code works (as in, they don’t even yet know how to script with Python).

For example, half of the ‘Help the BGE’ threads was made by a single member who was new to the forum and to game development in general. You just mentioned that you’re not trying to isolate people and I would support that, but there still needs to be a way to help them understand that the internal components of the BGE are often a bit more complex than they think.

Despite my “handicaps” I believe that I have made some unique contributions to the community, and the game engine itself.
furthermore, if you wish to speak about me, I would enjoy a PM first. One might say that your creativity is handicapped if you don’t see the applicability… (there are in fact translator apps for most languages)

I don’t flame you… Have you seen what we have done in “my spammy wrectified”?
I have people, learning while coding, some teaching, and some contributing what they can when they can,
If you think there is something wrong with my project, or me quoting that a resource was from it,
why?

I am stating where to get what I used to do what I did…

other wise known as open sourcing.

Asking for a HTML 5 exporter, is asking for a way to port to android, IOS, and browsers.

Burster seems to work ok… but no word on mobile yet,

It’s not a question of right to freedom. Neither is this a specific reference to your activity. It is fine for people to discuss feature X, but writing multiple threads on the same subject, saying little else that hasn’t been said Is not.

With respect to your project, the project itself is fine, it’s the way in which you advertise it (writing on nearly any thread about it) that people find fault with.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Ahh, I don’t mean to,

Most of the time I am just trying to bring us together,
or I am referencing a piece of code, or a feature I think would help the project, or help others.

I am not easily annoyed,
so I don’t have a lot of sympathy for people correcting people when they are not really doing anything wrong :smiley: