'No Objects or images found to bake to' despite there being an image to bake to

I’m trying to bake then paint and blur normals directly on my mesh, I’m able to texture draw on it and i have the image loaded in as you can see in my UV window, but when set it up for baking normals and then press Bake, it removes my texture then tells me ‘No Objects or images found to bake to’

so I’m wondering what I’m doing wrong.

Here are all the important screen captures/settings I can think of to show where I am right before I hit the bake button:

whoops, it won’t let me insert any more images to show what I’m talking about, but based on the one image It’s allowing me to insert here, does anyone know why Blender would tell me ‘No Objects or images found to bake to’, then completely remove my image from the UV window and force me to load it back in each time when I click bake again? Even though the texture is saved and I’m able to texture paint on it?

Note! I actually do save the image or press Alt S while mousing over the UV window so the asterix will go away, I am sorry if that’s misleading, but the texture is already an externally saved and existing texture outside of blender.

Thanks for any ideas or help in advance!

Attachments

Hi, are you using Cycles or Blender internal engine?

I’m using Blender Render, not cycles. Since I want to make simple textures to export to libGDX. But this may be entirely irrelevant now.

Well if you are using internal:

1. Create your texture (paint on it like you did before) and better save or pack your image (just to avoid that blender resets it with the actual image version that is currently in memory when the image becomes reloaded).
  2. Create a new texture you want to bake to
  3. Go into edit-mode of your object and select every face, then in image-editor select the newly created texture and select every face (UVs) - your whole object in edit mode aswell as your UVs should be selected now and in the image-editor your (empty) bake-texture should be visible now. This tells blender internal to bake everything onto this texture - if you don’t do so i normally bakes it onto your original texture and overrides it i think …
  4. In Bake-panel: choose the according bake-type (if you want to bake diffuse just select “Textures”) and hit the Bake button.

Should do the trick i think :slight_smile:

If you are using Cycles the process is a little different. That’s why i asked for it :slight_smile:

it worked! thank you so much, Danoman!

Now I just need to figure out if another higher multi-resolution modifier copy of my model is needed to blur the normal’s edges along all the edges of my tile… or if I can blur normals on the purely low poly model while in texture paint mode for my model here that only has the 5 faces you see in my image.
hmmm…

Nice :slight_smile:

Well first of all, there is no way you can paint a normal map in blender directly. You can paint a black/white bump map and feed it into a bump node but painting accurate normal-information is not possible. If you want an accurate normal-map you must create a highpoly model, sculpt all the information and bake it down to a tangent- or object-space normal map. There are tools that allow you to add normal-map information via a “paint”-process but not blender. So changing normalmaps (bluring etc.) can be done to soften things but i think that’s it …

But i still have no clue what you want to do ^^ … i assume you want to create a low-poly-cube with soft edges. Is that correct?

Danoman thanks again for the reply!

And I should clarify that I"m aware normal maps can’t be painted on at the start, they need to be initially baked, but they can THEN be blurred with the blur brush in texture paint mode. I’m trying to reproduce what this guy did with the blur brush in his outdated video here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHbhBwmCmXI
I just can’t tell if he had a high rez model or not that he blurs the edges on, in that video.

Okay sorry just wanted to clearify things since i have no idea what your actual knowledge is :slight_smile:

I know that tutorial and already tried it by myself and i can tell you that it works. But i still like it more to create a high poly object and bake everything using a cage in Cycles (even for round edges or hard-surface modelling). For the approach in this video you don’t need a high poly model. You basically create a low poly cube, bake its Object-Space(!!) normals to a texture, put this texture into the normal-input of the material and blur the edges by texture-painting on the object. That’s all.

I also struggled a pretty long time creating propper normals - especially soft-edges in hard-surface models and wanted to find out the easiest generic way to do so. Well in the end nothing worked as good and controllable like baking high poly normals with a cage in Cycles :slight_smile:

Woah, great replies, Danoman! This is really helping fight my memory loss disorder.

Can I trouble you one last time to clarify how to ensure I have put my normal map texture into the normal-input of the material?

Also, to switch between painting on the normal map and painting on the diffuse map do I only need to change the current image loaded in UV editor window?

Here’s my current set up in the last version of Blender (apologies, forgot this computer I just switched to had the older version of Blender when I took the screen caps)

Sure you can :slight_smile: … I know blender can be really tideous and confusing sometimes :slight_smile:

Your normal-map setup looks fine but your normal-map does not look like a object-space normal map (looks more like a tangent-space normal map in a 32bit float image - those are a little brighter than tangent-space normal-maps in default 8 bit (e.g. png) images) … be sure you bake an object-space normal map of your cube first!

Your Diffuse map is not loaded in any way. You need to add another texture-slot (under the NormalTex-slot) and add your diffuse map there.

When you want to texture-paint to a specific texture you must select it using the “Available Paint Slots” - list. You can find it here:

1. Select you object and enable Texture Paint mode
  2. Now go to the Slots-Tab of your Toolbar (the bar that appears/disappears when you press T)
  3. Select the target paint-texture from the “Available Paint Slots” - list. This list contains every texture that is associated with your current material.

I would strongly recommend you to do some basic texturing tutorials (Blender Guru on youtube has some really good series about it) and maybe begin with Blender Cycles. In the end Cycles allows you to create way more complex textures than Blender Internal :slight_smile: