No power. No water.

Just have to gripe. Hurricane Ike wiped out my power and water on Sunday night. It’s not going to be back on until Friday (“Hopefully!” says the power company). I know it could be worse and my house could be gone like the poor folks in Texas, but this is just making me nuts.

Hang in there Harkyman.

Hope its back sooner than they say. I know, power companies, yeah right. We have managed to avoid most of it this year where I live (north-central FL), but we’ve had some years when we didn’t have power for weeks and yeah, it sucks. We finally got a generator so we really don’t have to worry about it any more. You have a right to complain though, I think. You don’t get much tropical activity up there. :smiley:
Also, one dumb question. If you have no power, then how are you here at BA? :confused:

Here in NC, we’ve got power and water but no gas!

Here in OH we got lucky. Somehow the powerlines to our house survived.

Columbus and Zanesville both had extensive damage, though, with power being out in several areas… the place where my dad works lost power for two days. :frowning:

Amazing how power has changed the lives of folks. Imagine two hundred years ago when there was none of this stuff and after a huricane which could come with a lot less warning, your ancestors would have had to spend months cleaning everything up. But I have my thoughts with you.

Power cuts do me a world of good.

Last time I actually started reading again. Imagine that!

Remember they had a) a lot less to clean up; and b) a lot less intricate/complex structures to repair. We, of course, go build fancy things right in the places where they’re most likely to get destroyed, and then complain when they get destroyed. Then we go and rebuild them in the EXACT SAME PLACE! You’d think we’d learn our lesson…

The concern here was Ike wouldn’t make that sharp turn and almost go on top of Wichita and cause a lot of damage.

We didn’t need the rain it would’ve brought, since my corner of town got 10 inches of rain from a different system and the airport recorded 8 inches, a big chunk of the East side of town only got 3 inches though:spin:

Just to see what 10 inches in 1 day here would do, our neighborhood golf course was flooded by the course lakes being way out of their banks, 2 major streets were rivers and some houses got basement flooding. Our house wasn’t even close though because of how a very light slope through our backyard drains the water quickly, in fact the lake levels drained all the way to normal levels by the next day.

Tell me about it…

I live in the houston area and when the hurricane first hit, there were about 3 million people without power or water. My family was able to evacuate to Brownsville, which is in south Texas, for a few days while the hurricane hit, but we had to come back to get back to our jobs. Unfortunately we still dont have power and I hear the people in this area wont be getting power until Sept. 22nd. The aftermath of the storm wasnt as bad as I anticipated though. I expected shootings and looters and all kinds of craziness, but people are cooking outside and helping eachother out. Since all the power is off, more people go outside and converse with eachother. It’s was very interesting to see how it all worked out despite the lack of many of the things we take for granted.

VenomSeven – Wow you’re right in the worst part of it! But you know, that whole “looting, shooting” thing doesn’t really happen in… normal places. My family (wife and daughters) had so many offers of help (i.e. “Come stay with us” “Have dinner at our house tonight” “Use our showers”) from both friends and complete strangers like the lady at the hardware store where I bought my battery powered lights.

Good news for me is that we came home tonight to grab a few fresh overnight things and our power and water were back.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone!

wow, people actually go outside and talk to neighbors?! so hard to imagine.

Pm_B: Weird, I know, but we do it all the time around here. :slight_smile: