no viewport feedback with image-texture mapping using an object

This feature doesn’t work in 2.49 and up, but it seems like it should. So I can’t report it as a bug, but it really bugs me!
Using the GLSL mode in viewport.
I’m using the small gray plane as a reference object for mapping the image on the large plane. You can see the details of the image mapping in the open panels.

The image shows that although the reference plane correctly informs the render of the image size and location, it is not shown in the viewport, which is very difficult to use. Procedural textures WILL scale in the viewport, so the lack of image-mapped scaling seems like an oversight.
Before anybody says ‘why don’t you use UV mapping?’, that is not the point.:stuck_out_tongue:
This seems like a relatively easy code fix.
Hopefully I can gather a crowd noise so this issue gets on the ToDo list.
Maybe on the Viewport improvement branch of GSOC 2012?
thanks

Attachments

The same problem with other mapping projections (Blender render, Cycles).

I’m also looking for solution, I need to be able to have preview Generated coords and I think some helper kind of bounding box or gismo (sphere, tube, flat not only cube ) for texture space manipulation (and also rotation :slight_smile: ).

For me there’s no need to unwrap every simple model especially (only way to see correct textured preview, except render), if Blender already has automatic UV.

Before anybody says ‘why don’t you use UV mapping?’, that is not the point.:stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, but you have a more complicated use case than this example to explain why we need this to work this way?

I’m also looking for solution, I need to be able to have preview Generated coords and I think some helper kind of bounding box or gismo (sphere, tube, flat not only cube ) for texture space manipulation (and also rotation :slight_smile: ).

In the Object5 Properties tabs, in Display enable to view Texture Space. IN object mode, you can use Shift Alt T to scale Texture Space, and Shift T to move texture space. I know this doesn’t help since you can’t see procedurals in 3d view tex draw, but it is easy to render preview area and make changes, rerender.