Node Joe 1.1 (3ds Max plugin) - looks familiar

This looks familiar (node wise) …
http://www.nodejoe.com/index_en.php

:smiley:

Maybe we could borrow the user manual to beef up our wiki…

Wow…

I noticed that I didn’t see any copyright notices on the site. Guess they’re trying to stay legal.

The “About” page is in German, so I can’t read it, but from what I see, they just have a registered trademark on the name, that’s it. No copyrighted code as far as I can see.

Looks like they enhanced it quite a bit though. Maybe we can reverse-engineer the trial version, maybe even decompile it.

THEN we can expand our wiki :p.

Edit: I feel like signing up for their forum and posting a Blender screenshot in the screenshot area, and see if they notice anything… Strange about it…

doesn’t look THAT identical to me, sure there are some similarities,
like curvy lines between them and dot/point/ring shapes where they connect and etc. but yeah…

That’s what I thought at first. I actually noticed Node Joe before now, when I was learning 3DS Max at school, and I wanted a nice, Blender-like material editor. I thought it looked similar, but not at all the same.

Now that I look at it closer, however, the similarities are a bit more than that. Think of it on a more copy-pasted code level… Why is there a grid in the background, and on the video on the site, when they zoom in/out, the grid scales EXACTLY like Blender’s node grid does.

And, like I said, they say NOTHING about anything being copyrighted, besides the trademark for the name Node Joe.

And the About page is the only page in German. Almost like they’re hiding something.

Uh, no. Node Joe has been around for a relatively long time, and Blender is by no means the first to have a node based material editor, we re-used (copied) the same concept as appears in many other applications. The fact that they have a grid background is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Edit: I feel like signing up for their forum and posting a Blender screenshot in the screenshot area, and see if they notice anything… Strange about it…
Same here:spin:

That’s one good way to make people dislike Blender and its users…

As already said, blender is not the only application to use nodes.
Even if the idea was a copy from blender’s nodes, there is nothing wrong with that. That would be just a sign that nodes are a nice idea.