Nodes material/texture like this?

I’ve been trying to replicate the material and texture of the ship’s skin in this http://news.discovery.com/space/ixs-enterprise-an-interstellar-warpship-visualized-photos-140613.htm picture-- it’s the IXS Enterprise, “Systems Test” picture. I’ve come close with Blender Internal, but I haven’t been able to get anything close with Cycles and Nodes. Does anyone have a pointer to something that works?

Materials don’t seem too complicated, diffuse and glossy (even two glossy I think, one with small hardness and fresnel and the other with with more hardness)
then mix the materials with cache textures.
What are you struggeling with exactly?

I just can’t get something that looks like that. The material looks like what I’d describe as a metallic porcelain. Interestingly, I haven’t been able to find a good nodes-based porcelain on the net, either.

Disclaimer: I’m a noob, so I could very well be missing some simple trick.

I this roughly what you’re looking for?

I just want to point out a few things:

Don’t forget that materials are nothing without lighting! A good lighting is as / more important than good materials.
Your image and your materials don’t have too look exactly like you want straight out of render. Compositing and color correction can do a big part of the job.
For example here, the material might look a little too dark, but with better lighting and color correction it’ll probably be fine.
And at last, but not least, don’t forget an HDRI! it’s essential for good reflections.

Hope this helps!

Andrew price did exactly what you’re trying to learn, but unfortunatly the website still has a redirection loop for some reason, I hope it’ll be fixed soon

Wow, there’s some good info there.Thanks!

… back to the salt mines…

I sent them an email and it looks like they fixed it. Good article!