Nodevember 2022 - lessons learned

I wanted a place to keep all of the little things I learned this year and share them in a bit more accessible way, so I’ll be updating this thread throughout the month.

The first thing I found helpful that I’m going to want to come back to is a simple view culling group:

10 Likes

This is useful, bookmarked :slight_smile: I’ll be following this thread for sure!

1 Like

Here’s another one that I used to make the debris clouds in the space junkyard:

Last year, I struggled with randomizing instances to scatter. I had to make several objects with a node group, put those in a collection, then use that collection as a source of instances to scatter.

This year, I figured out a way to do all of that in one node tree. Here’s the file, if you want to check it out:
INSTANCE DUPES.blend (995.7 KB) - CC0 license

If anyone knows a more robust way to separate geometry by indices into individual instances that doesn’t involve a train of nodegroups, I’d love to hear about it :heart:

4 Likes

You could always separate by point > vert amount loop wrapped to your vertex count in the instance (after realizing instances) - I think it could be one nodegroup? But it depends what you want to do once they are separate. Also the instancing functionality has been improved in 3.1 or 3.2 if you aren’t on the most recent.