Noise controller on transform?

Hi, is there a way to put a noise controller on an object’s location/rotation, similar to Wiggle in After Effects?

I figured out how to add a Noise Modifier in the Graph editor, but you can only add it per separate axis. So in this case I have to add and adjust 6 instances of the noise modifier, Location X,Y, and Z and Rotation X, Y, and Z, which slows me down a lot.

Is there a way to add just one noise controller that does it all?

Many thanks,

Morris

Hi, haven’t tried yet, but you could still create all six modifiers, then use drivers to set those values only once.

sorry for the glitches

That’s a cool solution for something vertex based, but I’m looking for something that will affect the transform. So I can use it on a camera, or a bone in a rig.

Thanks for recording!

Come on! dont be so lazy. Open your mind. :slight_smile:

threepointconstraint

create a triangle mesh, parent an empty to hit (last option triangle vertex). use the same technique as above for displacing the triangle.
if you want to fade this effect on the camera… use constraints and there sliders

1 Like

That’s cool, thanks for the tip. But if I’m trying to add some noise movement to a bunch of bones on a several rigs, this solution won’t make it less complicated…

If you want to keep it contained and not use extra objects as in Skuax’s solution (which honestly is really clever), you could simply automate setting up the noise f-curve modifier. Unfortunately f-curve modifiers can’t be driven as far as I know

@Hadriscus , you are right: I just found out that drivers are not a viable solution. I was willing to write an addon for that, but first I had to find a cool enough name. Than it struck me.

Sirs, allow me to present Die Über Noiser

Find it on GitHub, and let me know how it goes

And now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to assemble a Heavy Metal band with the same name. See you soon!

2 Likes

Great, thanks for your contribution !

This looks amazing! Sorry for dumb questions following here:

What is the right way to download this from Github? There is no download button. I ended up copy / pasting from the “raw” mode, into a .txt doc and renaming it .py. Is that the right way? It looks right when I open it in a text editor.

I installed the .py under add-ons, but Die Über Noiser does not appear in the add-ons list.

Thanks for any help

Hi @Skorpan99,

yes, at the moment the only way is saving the raw script. Perhaps you will have more luck right clicking the raw link and picking “Save As…”

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pKrime/python-snippets/master/blender_addons/die_ubernoiser.py

Or you can try this other link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LOsHLxnebplt-xWy12NAinuG8l-agoKl/view?usp=sharing

It installs and runs clean on blender 2.93. If it doesn’t, please open the console window and look for errors

p.

That totally worked. Die Über Noiser!! You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Would there be a way to get the noise instances to have different seeds? The noise is the same on each axis, so they’re all locked in the same motion. It kind of looks like an animation scrubbing backward and forward… Does that make sense?

Thanks man!!

Does it mean that ,if you put a keyframe on only one channel, it will noise only in one axe?

@Skorpan99

the noise is the same on each axis, so they’re all locked in the same motion. It kind of looks like an animation scrubbing backward and forward… Does that make sense?

Oh yes, makes sense, you want to add seed. I have added an optional Randomness for each attribute: if you raise the Phase Random Slider, you shold be able to differentiate the noise

immagine

@skuax

Does it mean that ,if you put a keyframe on only one channel, it will noise only in one axe?

My addon will only affect the animated channels, if that was your question

cheers!

That totally did the trick. This is incredible. Fantastic, thank you so much!! So very grateful.