Noise node, how to make it even?

I usually just smack on a contrast/brightness node with 1 in contrast to get close to the extremes, as without it it appears to produce an output centered around the 0.5 point.

Is there a more accurate way of doing this?

what do you mean by even ?
random is random !

but it is not uniform if that is what you mean

happy bl

Do you mean 0 to 1 range? The default output is about 0.25 to 0.75, so you can subtract 0.25, then multiply by 2.

1 Like

One trick I now use when I need a uniform random value:
noise.Color -> convert_to_HVS.H
:slight_smile:

Sorry, my bad, horribly asked. Yes, I’d like to convert noise value (not color, although I liked the trick :)), which has a normal/gaussian distribution, into something more uniform looking.

I tried using HSV.H, and although I’d prefer to use a fac output (I believe I heard it was faster), the difference is huuuuuge. See screenshot; left is rendered using (fac-0.5)*spread, right is using (HSV.H-0.5)*spread for use with aniso rotation control on UV tangents in this case.

do you still need to offset the output ?
or is it between 0 and 1 ?
or if needed between -0.5 and 0.5 !

happy bl

Habit I guess, from countless times trying and failing to get it under control. I like to keep it around 0 ± spread + any rotation offset. I quit (didn’t save) before I tested if non-offset worked - in theory it should be the same as 0, 0.5, and 1 are identical rotations.

also depends what is required for that tangent input !
is it between 0 and 1 or as an angle
same for the rotation input !

happy bl