Non-Destructive or creating versions? What is better?

Legend: Creating versions: Coping the stuff and calling 01,02 etc.

Or both? :smiley: Why do some people dislike non-destructive work?

Applied to modeling, shading, etc. Everything. Or do you have exceptions where x isn’t good?

I use versions simply for if I mess up so I can revert to a prior incarnation. I’ll laso copy things to different layers for the same reason and just have my outliner normally set up for “visible layers” so I don’t get confused. :slight_smile:

If it is not supported it is not a matter of liking it or not, the fact that an history is kept means that data is stored into memory.
You can not store data indefinitely in RAM. At a moment, application becomes unusable.
Blender is able to run on small hardware because it has destructive workflow.
If you stack a huge amount of modifiers, you need a solid hardware to handle it.
The move from modifiers stack to modifier nodes will be done with ability to cache a part of nodetree on hard drive to keep blender usable.
But more than 20 years ago when Blender was born, hardware did not have capabilities it has, now.

Anyways, keeping your .blend files small and simple will always make them easier to manage.
You can use versioning to support variations or steps of your creation or both.
That is just a matter of methodology.

More than non-destructive workflow what is desired is procedural workflow. Re-employing procedures used on a simple basis on more complex basis.
But by consequence, when it would be in place and solid, it would facilitate support of non-destructive workflow.
Wait some years of development and question would not make sense anymore.

I like creating versions because I’m pretty old-school. Some of my first and fondest moments in front of a PC were from the mid to late 1980s and early 1990s, when I was playing Sierra adventure games. Their motto? “Save early, save often.”

Non-destructive workflows are pretty novel to me. I try to use them in Photoshop, but to be honest I could be a lot better about doing it. :slight_smile:

As valid a statement now as it ever was. :wink:

from the experience of XSI, I could say that it depends on the type of work, in the objects of mechanical form it is useful, but I remember that at the time I sometimes forgot to freeze the meshes, and I wore useless hierarchies that made me the heavy object … .
the good compromise of non-destructive history, it was freezing certain irrelevant points, and keeping the story for the most important points where I potentially wanted to make changes, especially if I wanted to make variations of the object I created …
today we have deep learning techniques … and everything could be easier and more interesting as houdini does …

As an aside, that version history could be useful someday if you are ever involved in a copyright lawsuit.