Non-GLSL Shadows

since my card doesn’t support glsl, how could i make shadows like they did in super mario 64? like this one blender game?:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112552

I don’t know exactly what your talking about cuz i couldn’t view the screen shots on that game (internet filter) but if your talking about a small fuzzy circle under the character you simply make a plane assign a texture of the shadow then in the uv settings set it to “shadow”. Oh and make sure to set the player as the parent to the plane and posistion the plane under the character.

uhh… do you know where to find a fuzzy circle shadow texture?.. :slight_smile:
aaand… umm… does anyone have an image of the shadow button? i can’t find it…

open photoshop, use the gradient tool thing and use circle.
Instead of parenting to the player you should use a ray sensor on the -z axis to find the ground. This way you can jump/fall without the shadow going with you in the air.
Use getHitPosition() and AlignAxisToVect() and getHitNormal() to get the shadow in place and follow slopes and stuff.

i don’t have ps… and i don’t know python… ummm… any images? please?

I’ll asume your on windows.
go download the gimp or easier to use Paint.net.
make your own circle!

sim88: If he selects the shadow button it will automatically stay on the ground when he’s jumping or falling.

if you guys could just show me an image of where the shadow button is located, i can do the rest.

select your object… go to the mesh tab… give the object some UV’s and the tex face panel should appear… you should see a whole bunch of options… shadow being one of them.

i think i’m blind…
i REALLY can’t find it…
do i have the right version?
2.46?..

Kirado’s technique is based on 2.47
I don’t know if there`s a shadow button in 2.46…

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/4166/shadowhelpvr5.jpg

Here you go…

Make sure that your shadow is unwrapped. You can take a look at the .blends for my 4X4 game, that has non-GLSL shadows in it. Just go to the link in my sig. Hope that helps!

oh, wow.
awesome, it works!
but…
when the player hits the ground, the shadow goes under the plane…

set the shadow to ghost. Or turn collision of in the settings panel where you found the shadow button.

uhh…
it still doesn’t work…
i mean, i dunno what wrong with it…
like, when i jump, as in, the player is in the air, it comes up and works…

Go into edit mode on the shadow, and move the mesh up until when you play, you can see it :wink:

i have…
it still goes under…

Just unselect the shadow button and add this logic to it.

Always____AND____Constraint:Z

Remember to save as ghost.

that didn’t help with anything… :frowning:

OH it’s local. Hit Y then.