Noob Alert: learn from my pain: mysterious (to me) display situation: PART of object!

Maybe this is OBVIOUS, but I lost 3 minutes figuring it out, so LFMP! (Learn From My Pain!):

There’s only one selectable object in this view, but when I Selected it, only a portion of it was highlighted:

This was baffling, until I switched to Edit mode: all the unhighlighted bits were Hidden. So a bit of a nice feature there, although if you needed something to remain Hidden in Object mode I’m not sure what your options are.

Anyway, hopefully this will save somebody 3 minutes of bafflement.

Hi,
Unless I am mistaken. . . but it seems that here the X-Ray option is activated. . . so the view shows you what you ask him … :slightly_smiling_face:

IMHO that’s a bug, let’s see if devs can verify (or dismiss).

I don’t think my case is a bug, rather a feature. I don’t know what’s going on in FreeAccess’ case.

His case and your case are the same. Geometry hidden in edit mode is still visible in object mode (as it should be). But for some inexplicable reason, turning x-ray on makes the selection outline treat that geometry as non-existent.

Personally, I prefer it that way.

Hi,
Me too, that’s why I never really considered this as a bug / error / …

To do in the medical, it is as if I had an X-ray of the arm in which I miss part of the bone …
and IMO it seems normal to see only the remaining part … :slightly_smiling_face:
Of course, all this is only a matter of personal perception.

This has nothing to do with “personal perception”. When you turn x-ray on in object mode, only transparency changes. The geometry is still there, it’s visible, therefore it should be outlined accordingly. As it is right now it’s just inconsistent behavior, and as @Jeric_Synergy demonstrated with the original post, can and will be confusing.

An example:

These are different cubes. One has a face hidden in edit mode, the other - split edges. Can you tell which is which?

I too wouldn’t mind a way, in object mode, to somehow indicate hidden geometry. But this is not the way.

Hi,

This has nothing to do with “personal perception”.

As a reminder, my native language is not English and often the translation does not transcribe exactly what I wanted to express in my original language … :grinning:

But clearly, you have defined what I meant: :+1:

I too wouldn’t mind a way, in object mode, to somehow indicate hidden geometry.