NOOB: How to make a box with a curved side

Hi,
as you can see I’m very new to blender. So probably I haven’t read all the information that is available.
Anyway, I’d like to build a box with a curved side (see pic) and I cannot find a way to do it (at least not without subdividing the sides of the box into many triangles).

I’m sure there are plenty of methods, if only I knew one of them. :frowning:

Select Your object which isn’t smoothed out, press W select Bevel, move your mouse around until it looks nice, choose the number of smoothness, then left click.

• noidtluom

You can cut it(Ctrl+R), like in your picture.

Easy peasy.

Add a Bezier Circle. Subdivide it once so you have 8 control points. Drag the 3 corner ones you want to be edges to align with each other on the grid (hold Ctrl while moving em).

With all 3 of the corner ones still selected, hit V, they’ll go sharp. Now delete the middle ones between the straight ones (ones with yellow control points between ones with green control points BAD unless alignment is perfect - non-coplanar points will make more faces on the edges.)

Finally shape the curved side as you feel the need, add more points, make silly architectural moulding profiles (sorry, inside joke - we’re obsessing on architecture lately)…

Anyway when you get the profile the way you like, extrude it.

Done, and no faces you didn’t want.

Hope this helps!

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/5663/curveextrude0by.jpg

hmm,
but bevel has two major drawbacks

1. it always works on all faces
  2. maximum of 4 iterations

thanks alot. i’ll give it a try. let’s see if it’s as easy for me as it was for you. :smiley:

hmm,
but bevel has two major drawbacks

1. it always works on all faces
  2. maximum of 4 iterations

There’s a script that sobstitutes the Bevel function, the Bevel Center script, under the mesh script section -It works only on selected edges: select the edges and the press bevel-. But make sure you have the second version, named Bevel Center 2. Version 1 had bugs

Yeah! Bevel Center! This is I was looking for! (…among many others) :smiley:

Another way to do it would be to subsurface the cube, and then extrude the faces you want to have sharp edges. First turn on the subsurface modifier, then select (in transparent mode) four vertices of a face you want flat. Hit the E key and select extrude region, and then hit the right mouse button or escape immediately, without moving the face. Do this twice for each face. make sure that you select your vertices in the transparent mode, so that you’re sure to get them all (this method creates doubles, so if you later remove doubles on these edges for some reason, you’ll lose all your edges.)

You could also start with a cylinder. delete 3/4 of the circumference, then extrude the outside vertices to form the rest of the box .

You could also start with a cylinder. delete 3/4 of the circumference, then extrude the outside vertices to form the rest of the box .

Or just squash the sides.

Heavily-tessellated:

Done, and no faces you didn’t want

Unless you convert it to a mesh.

:stuck_out_tongue: Hey it’s Blender, there’s many ways to do just about everything… I’m just wondering why Bugs dug up a 3 week old post to detail a more complicated, 100x more faces and verts, and the difficulty of future editing utilizing stacked verts…

edit: my bad, glodomor was the digger-upper :smiley:

detail a more complicated, 100x more faces and verts, and the difficulty of future editing utilizing stacked verts…

Yeah, given the specs here, where the only requirement is the shape, I agree your curve approach is better. (Gotta stop just assuming everything always needs to be a subsurfaced mesh…)