[NOOB] Learning armatures for newbies

Hi,

I’m completely new to Blender, i’m old (41), so, i learnt modeling with 3dsMax.

I’m not ready to understand video tutorials because everything is based on keyboard shortcuts. I need to learn using the menus first.

Or, telling with more precision, i COULD learn directly with shortcuts, but i don’t like skip learning steps.

I’m looking for a tutorial based on menus.

Hi, yes blender is shortcut based but in newer version (i only tested 3.0) you can hit F3 and search for the operator. It will then tell you in which menu you can find it.

If you cant find it then you are probably in the wrong mode but that depends on the operation.
I dont have specific tutorials but with this you should be able to follow every tutorial when they mention the operator.

1 Like

Sorry, i’m stil on Blender 2.8. At now i only earn 900E / month so i don’t want to buy Windows 10. I think I should jump to Linux.

Hello i ve made a video about basic bones squeleton creation here:

i use 2.7x shortcuts in it. but it will learn you some really basic concepts
hope it will help

1 Like

You don’t need to be running Win10 to go past 2.8. See https://www.blender.org/download/requirements/ : minimum Win version is 8.1.

Even so, if you are running an earlier version of windows, you can still upgrade to Win10 for free (to my knowledge): see https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/ (i just did a quick google, on the basis of stuff overheard.)

In the case of Blender, I think it’s appropriate to think of the keyboard shortcuts as the way to learn. Learning menu positions first is not learning things in order. After years and years, there are plenty of operations where I don’t know where the menu item is exactly, because I learned on the shortcuts and the shortcuts are better in every way (at least for me.) That’s exactly why tutorials are presented with kb shortcuts in lieu of menu item positions: because learning and using kb shortcuts is the “right” way to use Blender, and the menus are mostly superfluous. When you use kb shortcuts, you don’t need to know the menus.

2 Likes

But, i insist, i’d like to learn the menus.

I know lots of people believe it’s a waste of time, but i’m different. I suffer from an ADD because of an accident, my brain miss RAM, and i need memory helpers.

I highly recommend investing time in either machin3tools or heavypoly, while not related to rigging, these have their own pie menu’s, reducing the amount of shortcuts one would have to learn. From there on you can find out what suits you best. I use a combination of both, i rely on shortcuts for certain things but the vast majority is accessed with pie menu’s.

as for rigging, the humane rigging series is good( and free!) and iirc, made with vanilla blender.

Thanks for your advices but it’s too advanced for me.

I’m just a small indie developer making openGL low-poly apps for cheap web-mobile, so i don’t need all this advanced stuff. I just need the basics.

1 Like

I understand such problematic. I’m also like that.
But, make sure to also practice, on occasions, varied ways of doing things; that will foster neuroplasticity, and hence versatility. Even though, everyone has got personal preferences, it is often beneficial, for learning and for understanding, to address a same object, from different approaches.

Well, the already mentioned F3 command (for the Search Operator; btw, you may find in through: Topbar > Edit Menu > Menu Search… is essential in that regard.

Beware, there seem to exist instances which are harder to find in the Blender UI (and this can be pretty confusing!), because they are dependent on the current mouse cursor position in the Blender screen… and hence, if we go check the Menu for that instance with the mouse, we simply will lose the mouse cursor position context that would allow the use of that instance in the first place! Maybe accessing the Menu with oldschool shorcut Alt+ could change this story (because then we don’t need to move the mouse cursor), but this I never tried.

What you must be attentious, while watching tutorials, is to grant preference to those who are using the famous Screencast Keys Addon, which highlights in realtime all of the shorcuts which are being used. Some tutorials won’t use it, but they are generous enough to have made their own ‘manufactured’ version of that fundamental information.

Remember that, making tutorials is not easy. There are lots of constraints involved in that task (and one of them is the time it takes to make clean recordings as well as good editions).
This is one reason why, I believe, not every tutorial maker will demonstrate, besides the shorcuts that is used as second nature, where in the UI that thing is located; as that would be more time consuming, and also redundant. However, I can assure you, there are lots of tutorial makers nowadays, who actually care about this stuff. You just need to try to look for, the more didactically proficient tutorial makers; and, at least until you get more confortable with Blender’s UI, try to avoid poor tutorials, deprived of those demonstrations, and also deprived from Screencast Keys Addon use (or a good use of it, because sometimes even with it it’s not easy to follow up), or some visual equivalent as video-edited information.

You may also make threads in the helper section of this forum, about: “What would be a didactic Blender tutorial about… a certain subject?” Because it can be very hard especially in the beginning, to know how to differentiate between good and bad tutorials.

PS: Also, note that the Menus, to the right of an Operator, usually contain the Shorcut of it. So, try to use these to have an overview of some of the Shorctuts Blender has by default, even though you’d not be using them. Remember you can configure your own Shorcuts (Right-Mouse Button Click on any Menu Item, or even Option Buttons: Assign Shorctut, or Change Shorcut; then record the new Shorcut; it should update and show up as the new reference [unless it’s bugged]).

Sorry i’m a newbie, it’s too complex for me.

I’m just reading basic documentation, i learn the menus by myself. I’ll use shortcuts later, when i start working on modeling, for the moment i first gotta work on scripting.

I think this kind of lecture is good for beginners to learn. :slightly_smiling_face:
(강의 링크 https://www.youtube.com/@Nekomatata/videos)

So very much has changed since 2021 …