noob question about contraints

How can you constraint the movement of an object? In my case, I want an object to rotate only on its x axis. I’ve tried to apply constraints to the object, but I cannot figure out how they work. The wiki site is down and the books I have (Essential Blender and Introducing Character Animation with Blender) only offer information about applying constraints to armatures.

I’m modeling a simple machine. It does not deform, so I’m not rigging it. However, it has a few moving parts and I want to limit the movement of those parts, but cannot manage to intuit how to do that. It’s a simple parent-child relationship – like a wheel spinning on an axle. I just want the wheel to rotate on one axis.

Sorry for such a noob question, but I’ve looked everywhere I can think of for an answer.

Select the object, then type n. The transform properties panel will appear. In that panel, the lock icon next to rot x, rot y will lock those rotations, allowing only rotation on the z axis.

Not one of your intuitively obvious methods. :smiley:

I can’t believe how much time I wasted not figuring that out. Even more embarrassing since I model with the transform properties window already open.

Like I said: noob.

Thanks.

heymikey, just in case you missed this,
While modelling you can limit rotations to, say, the X axis by typing R, X. You can also restrict a rotation to, say, the XY plane by typing R, Shift+Z (like in “not Z”).

/ Mats

Thanks, Mats.

What’s even MORE embarrassing (really I’m just joking here)…The Essential Blender pg 71 para 6:

On a side note: I just got both of those books about 3 days ago (prolly the only reason I could put up this post lol)…how you like them? I’m loving essential blender…made the idea of animation so easy lol…haven’t hit CAWB yet, hoepfully soon.

All I can say, HouseArrest, is that I hope people are kinder to you when you run into one of those inevitable “I’m looking right at it and can’t see it” moments.

Guess you missed the part in parenthesis that says I’m just joking.

That’s one of the issues with not really reading the post and assuming the worst. Posts convey no imotion, words have to be read in the order they’re written or you get a different result than the writer wanted to convey.

What I was trying to do (again in a joking manner that you must have missed) was point him to the page in the book he said he had that would show him the same info ppl were telling him here. Hopefully, he opens it up and reads about it, then jumps to another section about it learning something completely different in the process.

Guess that’s one of the drawbacks to joking around. The listening audience (in this case the reading audience…only you so far ;)) isn’t always your intended audience.

No worries. I took HouseArrest’s dig in the spirit in which it was intended (picture me thumping myself on the forehead - ‘duh!’). Though, in my defense, I will say that one drawback I have found with Essential Blender is a pretty weak index. I have more luck scanning whole chapters for information than I do of finding it in the index. Still, it’s a wonderful book and sits at my elbow the entire time I’m modeling.

You know what…I was thinking the same thing as I was looking for that section for the above post lol. They should have done much better job with the index then they did. You look up extrusion in the index and you see…wow…NO entries…in a book that teaches you the basics of a 3d app? Really?
Matter of fact if you take a closer look…wow 1 entry for the letter E period. You’d figure a 362 pg book (not including index or glossary) would have more than one entry for the most used letter in the american language, regardless of its topic.
It is still a great book, so far as I can tell. Like I said got it about Wednesday (friday now) and I’m only on chapter 7 outta what 15 or 16…so half way till I’m able to yay or nay someone else’s purchasing this book. Hows the CAWB?

I’m only a short way into CAWB, but it’s pretty good. Seems to be very comprehensive.