Noob question - Attach polygons together at their edges.

I am trying to constuct a multisided object using hexagon and pentagon flat meshes.

I created the hex and pent shapes using 6 and 5 side circle meshes.

I want to be able to join them at their edges.

Is there a way to lock the shape of the polygons so that they dont warp when I try to snap the edges together?

There is no tool that fits your description but you should read through this page from the Manual:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Modelling/Meshes/Snap_to_Mesh

For your task the best option is to set Snap Target Mode to Active. Select all vertices you want to move and last select the vertex you want to snap. The same for rotation and scale (but use 3D cursor for center of scaling or rotation).

Attachments

are the polygons part of the same object or are the different objects?

Is there a way to lock the shape of the polygons so that they dont warp when I try to snap the edges together?

it seems like you are working in edit mode…if you have all the verts of a polygon selected, they should all move as one…ther shouldn’t be any distortion…

bring them close together, select the edges you want to merge, and alt “M” I think, or press space, edit and edges, merge edges. I usually use it with merge vertices and I don’t have blender on this comp and the ol’ dementia is setting in but I htink that’s it

i know a way to snap the edge of one object by moving and bringing it close to another edge soemwhere else

but that;s a little complicated and need the addition of empty to do it
but it can be done

if you need the recepie let me know i’ll find it and give it here !

Thanks

They are all different objects (at the moment anyway).

I wasnt selecting all the edges in edit mode - just the ones I wanted to join.

Now I understand to select the edges that I want to join last (on both Polygons) life is much easier.

Thank you all for your advice.