Noob question: importing downloaded objects

Hi all,

First post here so please excuse me if this is a common question, I tried looking at 5-6 other posts I thought could help me but they were all about different aspects of Blender. I have been kind of thrown in at the deep end and have a five week deadline to develop a reasonable grasp of some of the basics.

Essentially, I need to import readily-available items into Blender and then experiment with Python code to move them around. I downloaded a .blend file for a leather couch and I wanted to move it around as one unit but every time I tried to click it and move it, new places were selected and I was pulling the back of it one direction, a cushion to the left and a leg of the sofa to the right.

What I’d really like help with, and I don’t mean a big explanation, even just the name of a command or a menu item to give me at least some hint at the right direction. I would like to import a .blend file item (i.e. like a piece of furniture) and have Blender treat it as one object, then I look in the info window and replicate Python commands based on current cursor position and stuff like that.

Like I said, I’m not looking for an in-depth explanation (though one would be greatly appreciated) but even just a spin in the right direction would be fantastic.

Thanks
A.

Most likely the couch is not one object, but several objects. Here are a few basics for dealing with objects comprised of several smaller objects.

1. When you select an object (by right clicking on it) (in object mode) it will become highlighted in orange.

2. To deselect right click again

3. To select multiple multiple objects, hold shift and right click the other objects. So right click one cushion, it becomes ornage, and hold shift and right click another cushion. Now two cushions are selected. Press G then X then move your mouse to move them both along the x axis.
    3a) Ctrl-Z to undo

4. You can also press ‘b’ And drag your mouse to ‘box select’ multiple objects. They become highlighted in ornage just as theyw ould from right clicking.

5. Press ‘a’ to deselect everything, ‘a’ again to select everything.

6. In order to get that whole couch to act as one, you would need to do one of the following.

a) Select all the pieces of the couch and hit ctrl-J to JOIN them one object. This is probably the best solution for you. You can move it as one piece, and append it into new scenes as a single object. It amkes it a little more difficult to modify the individual components, but if you are happy with them the way they are this is the best plan.

b) Select all all the pieces of the couch and ctrl-G to make them a group.

c) Pick one of the pieces of the couch, say the main body and make this the parent of all the other pieces. Select all the pieces of the couch and select the main body LAST. Ctrl-P choose ‘object’ When you move the main body all the child objects move with it.

Don’t forget to save and save as often, if things go haywire, try esc.

Good luck!

1. In order to get that whole couch to act as one, you would need to do one of the following.

a) Select all the pieces of the couch and hit ctrl-J to JOIN them one object. This is probably the best solution for you. You can move it as one piece, and append it into new scenes as a single object. It amkes it a little more difficult to modify the individual components, but if you are happy with them the way they are this is the best plan.

You are amazing!