Noob question on SubSurf

Hey Guys,

Still a relative noob in blender, been playing around on and off for a year maybe, I’m trying to model a car and I came across an issue I can’t find an answer for, maybe I’m not asking the right question, so thought I’d post a pic here. I have a simple mesh with subsurf and I want to delete the face but have a square hole not a circular hole like it is in the picture, I can’t add a loop because there’s nothing there so how in this situation would I make the cutout square?

John.

The only solution i m seeing here is to add loopcuts.

Yeah, I didn’t realise putting the loop cut on the outside of the circle would still bring it in, tried it there and it worked. Sorry for the noise :smiley:

John

1 Like

BTW try to avoid using subdivision surface modifier when modeling, in Blender 2.8 the denser the model the slower it gets to work with subsurf.

OTOH, if you must use the SSModifre, you can Isolate your Object to reduce computer overhead while you work. Also, once you’re satisfied with the modeling, you can dial down the viewport divisions. Just remember to set them appropriately for render.

1 Like

Hey Guys,

thanks for the advice on using subsurf while modelling,

John