Noob Questions About UV Mapping/Exporting

First off, let me apologize for the noob questions! I know such questions have no doubt been answered somewhere out there on the internet, but unfortunately for me I have been unable to find satisfactory answers. So here I am. Help would be greatly appreciated! Thx in advance.

First, a little about my skill level in Blender. I’ve been using online tutorials over the past six or seven months, to learn 3D modeling. I gave up gaming (save every once in awhile) to pursue dreams of working on them instead. The first step was modeling. The second is setting up my models for use as game assets. In my case, Unity assets. I still have a lot to learn about modeling but I have reached a certain level of confidence in what I know I’m capable of. For the past month or two, I’ve made a series of models which I intend to submit to the Unity store.

I’ve spent all this time learning the Blender interface, and various modeling techniques. However, I never focused much of my time on textures. I know how I can apply certain textures, to certain faces or vertex groups, but that’s about it. Slapping a texture on something is great and all but really, it isn’t that great. Since I intend to sell these models as game assets, there is a certain standard I’d like to hold myself to.

I am not very skilled at textures or anything that goes with that territory. I don’t intend to do a superb job. However, I do intend to do a satisfactory job. Ideally, I want anyone who purchases my package to be able to easily re-texture my models with their superior skills.

So, I have all these models awaiting personality! What I’m not sure about is…

- How can I assign different textures to different parts of my mesh using UV mapping?

• How can I export a complete UV Map of my mesh that includes all the applied textures?
  • With the first two questions in mind, how should I approach the bump mapping?

I probably have one or two other questions that either haven’t surfaced in my mind yet, or I have forgotten atm. Hopefully I have provided enough information about my aspirations, but if not, feel free to let me know! If it isn’t already obvious, I want to have easily edited UV Maps for my models, for use in Unity3d. Thanks again, for any help/advice!

I probably shouldn’t let the secret out… but there is a manual for blender!
If you go to the texture section, there are chapters for mapping that explain all of your questions and and many more you haven’t asked yet.
Why settle for satisfactory when you could do a superb job?!

Yes, thank you. I know there is a manual. There’s something I’m missing or not grasping though. Something simple that I’ll feel dumb for not understanding sooner! Why settle for satisfactory? Because I’m just not good at the art of texturing in general.

I think I need to apply the textures to the mesh then bake a uv map? However, I have to scale my uv maps larger than the image bounds in order for the texture to tile properly.

For a game asset, you will want to create one UV map. Try to reuse sections where possible… for example, if you are making a car, stack the doors on top of each other in UV space and paint one door to save space.

A great way to make something really high quality is to make a very high-res version of your model and then bake it down to the low res version. This way, you could go to town on the high res version making tiny details with many many UV maps and texture images. It will all get baked down to one texture with your single UV. Make sure to create a second UV channel for lightmaps. That UV can be Atlased (Blender has a one button solution for that). Unity will be able to use that channel for lightmapping. You will want at least 3 image maps… a color (Diffuse) image, a normal map and a specular map (show where the object is shiny).

Laying out UVs and texturing is the same for every program so search other software solutions. You might have better luck just googling how to texture game objects.

take a look at these and see if they help…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-FfB9kRmE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrApuPOayoU

Solved.

Finally, finally! Found a video showing precisely what I wasn’t grasping.