noob windows xp install

i’m brand new to blender, but not to computers.

i installed Blender 2.49a on my (older) laptop
into the windows

Windows XP
AMD Athlon XP-M
1.2 Ghz 1.21 GB of RAM

Python 2.6.2 installed

When I start from windows, Blender
opens a command, which says:

compiled with Python version 2.6.2

Checking for installed Python … got it

Then when Blender window comes up, it temporarily shows a graphic with a cute

dodo bird monster or something and id for Blender 2.49a, the only other things

in a other things are little visual icons such as a little 3D axis icons etc,

some of these expand into more little icons, but the rest of the field is all

white and there are no frames or any text.

thanks!
:cool:

whats your graphics card/laptop model/overall system specs?
have you tried it on any other computers?

Does Athalon support SSE2 instructions?

it appears this shouldn’t matter for the regular build, as the sse2 optimized is a special build

http://www.blenderbuilds.com/2006/10/25/official-242a-optimized-windows-release-sse2/

atom: not sure what sse2 is, but my old comp had an old amd athlon 1.4 ghz and blender was fine.

paraphrasing from

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Averatec_C3500_tablet.htm

"Averatec C3500 WIndows xp Tablet edition

AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M 2200+ 1.66 GHz processor with PowerNow! 2.0 Technology and QuantiSpeed Architecture

32-bit processor is AMD’s first mobile solution for tablet PCs and Averatec is the first manufacturer to put this processor in a convertible tablet PC. It’s designed to take up less space and consume less power than processors for full-size laptops and desktop-replacement notebooks.

The Athlon XP-M processor has 640KB total cache (128KB Level 1 and 512MB of L2 cache) to enable improved multitasking and improved overall performance.

The graphics chipset used in this tablet is the SiSM741."

I have not tried it on another computer, this is the only one available to me at the moment

this is out of my little pond, i’ve really dealt much with low level graphics before, i’ve never dealt with low level issues period except for general c programming, But this is central to CG and I wish I knew more about it (and because i started this mess) so i’ve culled some wiki material on it:

in the '80’s supercompuers, like the Cray used SIMD, essentially giving a
single instruction to operate on vectors (arrays of numbers). This is of course what blender is all about, vector graphics, now pc graphics cards handle it in various proprietary ways

"The Cray X-MP vector processors were pipelined and had multiple functional units. Pipelining allowed for one single instruction to move a long array of numbers sequentially into a vector register. Multiple registers, compute units, pipelining, and chaining allowed vector computers to compute Z = X*Y+V/W rapidly by streaming data into registers to hide memory latency, overlapping computations, and producing a resultant (Z) at each clock "

mmx was Intels initial attemp to intoduce SIMD to x86 architecture

sse was Intel’s second attempt to introduce this to x86 architecture

“MMX is a single instruction, multiple data (SIMD) instruction set designed by Intel, introduced in 1997 in their Pentium line of microprocessors, designated as “Pentium with MMX Technology”.[1][2] It developed out of a similar unit first introduced on the Intel i860. MMX is a processor supplementary capability that is supported on recent IA-32 processors by Intel and other vendors.”

“Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE) is a SIMD instruction set extension to the x86 architecture, designed by Intel and introduced in 1999 in their Pentium III series processors as a reply to AMD’s 3DNow! (which had debuted a year earlier). SSE contains 70 new instructions.”

sse2 is a later improvement on SS2

“SSE2, Streaming SIMD Extensions 2, is one of the IA-32 SIMD (Single Instruction, Multiple Data) instruction sets. SSE2 was first introduced by Intel with the initial version of the Pentium 4 in 2001. It extends the earlier SSE instruction set, and is intended to fully supplant MMX.”

hope this helps, i never took a computer graphics course.

SIMD (Single Instruction, Multiple Data)

Streaming SIMD Extensions

SSE2