Noobie needs help

Hello BlenderArtists,

I am a student here in the Philippines who happened to propose a simple RPG for our thesis.

I was just wondering if how can my character teleports his way to another place?
Example:
Billy(my character) is inside the room, and wants to go outside his’ room. When he stood in front of the door, he would hit “Enter” key and he will be teleported outside of his’ room.

Can anyone tell me? or show me? or Explain to me? please… thanks.

Hello SJice and welcome to the BlenderArtists forums!

So your question:

You want your character to walk up to the door and hit enter which will teleport him outside. First I ask why don’t you just let him walk through the door to get outside instead of teleporting, but this is your game and your choices so I won’t argue with that. Just a suggestion. But if you want him to teleport you could do it like this:

Have 2 scenes. One scene is the room and the other is outside. When the character walks up to the door and hits enter, the game will load the “outside” scene, and the character will appear to have been teleported.

I hope this helps and if you don’t understand any aspect I will explain further.

One possible method is to use the scene actuator to change scenes from “inside” to “outside”. You would have 2 separate scenes and use the actuator to change them. Character position/orientation could be stored in a global variable if you need to preserve that.

Another way is to use portals. There are numerous threads/posts about this including a recent one in “Game engine resources” that you can learn from.

Scene changing is probably the best way to manage this in your case to keep performance high.

Good luck with your thesis. :slight_smile:

Edit: Beaten to it. :eek:

OMG! you guys are angels!

Actually, what i’m planning is exactly what i said. Changing scene. Im new to blender, but i have done modeling, texturing and rendering. Now im trying to step on to the next level. I hope you’ll be my angels in doing so.

Can you give me a full details on how exactly will iI do the teleporting process?
THank you so much, this progress will be due a month from now,.

A more efficient way would be this:

Get the location of outside the door… Lets say x =0, y = 0, z = 0… And inside the door, it’s something like 3,3,3 (x,y,z) Use python to set the character’s position, when you press enter outside the door, you set the position to inside the house, when you press enter inside the house, you set the position outside the house, this way you don’t have to change scenes…

Um, if you need a full explanation on how to do something as easy as scene change, you should learn how to use the logic bricks… Here, I’ll give you the example…

Have 2 sensors, one a keyboard sensor and one a ray sensor… Set the ray to whereever the face of the characer is pointing at, and the distance to however much blender units you want. Set the keyboard sensor to ‘Ret’ (which is enter) have a controller and connect both sensors to it. Then have an scene actuator have it set to ‘Set Scene’ and type in the scene you want to go to…

Easy enough?

Cheers! :smiley:
Linkxgl

Whew Linkxgl, you are something :o)

I know about logic bricks because of the tutorial of the gingerbread man. And a simple control for an object to move around. What I am now aware of are some of the options in the logic bricks.

I got the whole idea in this instructions “Then have an scene actuator have it set to ‘Set Scene’ and type in the scene you want to go to…”

But this part here is a bit confusing. “Set the ray to whereever the face of the characer is pointing at, and the distance to however much blender units you want. Set the keyboard sensor to ‘Ret’ (which is enter) have a controller and connect both sensors to it.”

and another question, how do i get a certain location? like what you mentioned here “Get the location of outside the door… Lets say x =0, y = 0, z = 0… And inside the door, it’s something like 3,3,3 (x,y,z) Use python to set the character’s position, when you press enter outside the door, you set the position to inside the house, when you press enter inside the house, you set the position outside the house, this way you don’t have to change scenes…”

I’m beginning to enjoy this :slight_smile: thank you so much!

Ohw, i found it… how to locate the X, Y, Z…

I still have to learn how to script in blender, the easy way.

THanks Linkxgl:eyebrowlift:

uh, ok good you found it :wink:

Read on what a ray sensor is, and keyboard sensor is :rolleyes:

Because it’s much easier and fast with logic bricks :wink:

ohw, so is it possible to create a game without scripting? or are we still going to have add scripts.?
Hey Linkxgl, can you give me a link to where will i read some pointers to know more about logic bricks?..

And another question about the telportation option.

1. I’ll create a simple box with a dummy door and name it as room.blend
  2. I’ll create another simple box with a dummy door and name it as comfortroom.blend

…Question1: Will i be creating this 2 rooms on the same XYZ plane? or as different files?
…Question2: say for example i create a cube and use the logic bricks to make it move with W,A,S,D and move it to the door of the room.blend how is it exactly will be teleported to comfortroom.blend?
…Question3: how will my camera follow my moving cube?

Linkxgl i am very much thankful that you patiently answers my questions. Thank you.

Search for a blender game engine tutorial or google. Learn the basics, then do more complicated stuff.

mcguinessdr sir, i have done several tutorials in blender. That includes animation, texture mapping, UV mapping, modeling, extruding, some of the logic panel’s keys. Having a certain object walk around. I couldn’t find some tutorials that would expand the explanation of the Logic Panel. :frowning:

I guess no one knows… :frowning: