Noobie problem w/ subsurf

(Braek) #1

Guru’s,

Ive been using blender and 3D modeling at large for about a week now. Im having a bit of difficulty with the subsurfing function. For practice Im modeling various pieces of furniture in my living room. My floor-lamp has brought up a problem.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6849/lampproblemws9.jpg

I want to subsurf the the object, but as you can see in the image when I do this it messes up the overall design. I would like the long cylinder to hit the base at 90* like it does in the right most image.

Ive been thinking that the best way to do that would be to make each of the 3 sections: the base, long stalk, and the upper lamp, their own objects.

However, I dont know how to do that. In addition if there is an easier way to do what I am asking I am open to that suggestion as well. I made the object from a single plane and then spun it around the z-axis with 12 steps, not sure if that info helps or not.

Thanks in advance,

Braek.

0 Likes

(Orinoco) #2

There’s an easier way to do it. Just put another edge at the bottom of the long pole. Use the loop cut tool [Ctrl+r] to make a new set of vertices across the pole, then grab them and move them down. You can get the angle at the base as sharp as you want it to be.

0 Likes

(toontje) #3

Very simple and quick method:
Add an edge split modifier to the stack. It will do automatically what you’ve mentioned above.
Also: WELCOME TO BLENDER :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Hope you have lots of fun using it.

I recomend you to download the video tutorials from www.blenderunderground.com. They’re kick ass. Just snoop around, there are lots of video tuts to make life for Noobs easy.

0 Likes

(Braek) #4

Thanks both of you for your help. I will definitely check out that site as well.

In addition to trying the methods the two of you suggested, I stumbled across the [p] key while browsing the web.

Thank you both for your time,

Braek

0 Likes

(Ammusionist) #5

Or select the edge you want to keep true to the mesh, and press um… I think it’s Shift E to select edge strength - then drag over to the left to tell the modifier to stay close the the edge.

0 Likes