Noobs learning and blender 2.5 comming soon

I had someone pm about learning blender as a complete noob, and i refered them to the blender noob to pro wikibook when i thought about blender 2.5 coming out. The problem is there are not very many good beginner tutorials out for blender 2.5 yet and wont be for another few months.

With my experience i adjusted from 2.49 to 2.5 in just a few days, so I gave him advice to learn 2.49 from the wikibooks and then switch when he is comfortable with the program.

What are your guys thoughts on this? Its gona be a hard start for the new beginners out there who wont be able to follow many tutorials.

just learn 2.49, you can use that you learn

The conflict here is that there is no point in learning something that is not developed anymore.
But the actual new and better is not finished yet and has no newb tutorials.

I’d say to learn Blender 2.5, with you as the teacher :slight_smile: or Just wait… No rush…

While learning 2.5 / 2.6 directly would be best imho, as long as there are no beginner tutorials it’ll be rather hard. I think using 2.49 to learn the basics and principles of 3d would be be the best way to go until there are good tutorials for 2.5 aimed at the total beginner. There is no use in struggling to learn a new program with outdated tutorials, when the principles (how to model, texture, animate) are not bound to a version, it’s mainly the workflow and ui that differs, while understanding the way to model (topology, form etc), texture (uv layout shaders) etc are not application bound anyway.
I still recommend switching to 2.5 / 2.6 as soon as you (you being the general beginner) feel comfortable enough though, as 2.5 / 2.6 will be the way to go :slight_smile:

I hope that made sense.

best way to learn any software is just playing with it, clicking on things and watching things happen (including crashes). I’m now pretty comfortable with 2.5 just by taking that route. I’m also very used to 2.4 series…

If you’re a true n00b, go for 2.5 already. You’ll not produce many worthwhile things to preserve, so random crashes are not really a problem. Also, despite some instability, it’s pretty much the final design for 2.6, I guess…

Simple -

All tutes based on ver 2.5 - all free too via Vimeo. However their is a pay subscription model which I think is worth doing for further advantages and to support this great site ( I think )

Aidan

If you are just learning than the transition from a 2.49 tut to using 2.5 may be a little tough. Knowing 2.49 well will make knowing 2.5 easier, in fact no problem. Blendercookie.com ( I keep plugging this site, a check sooner or later would be fantastic! :wink: ) has 2.5 tutorials, mostly basic-intermediate. 2.5 is pretty sweet, I think you’ll easily find references for it all over the place. Once you know one version you will pretty much know the other.

tell him to learn 2.49. 2.5 is still in alpha and it will going through a lot of changes until beta. i

most professionals use 2.49 as its more reilable and stable for contract work. i use 2.49 for serious projects but i used 2.5 on the side and im still learning about all the new features. i think he will feel way over his head. if hes a beginner he doesnt really need the new stuff from 2.5 like the particle system and indirect lighting as that is more ‘advanced’ for a beginner to worry about. when i first started i only cared about modeling what my imagination had in mind. textures, lighting, compositing was the last thing on my mind or i didnt even know about it. 2.49 is enough for him or her to start modeling.

2.49 is not outdated :slight_smile:

Hey im the “noob” haha i am going to check out the site 2 aidanodr talked about and if i cant get realy far in it ill use 2.49 like every one else suggested ^.^ thank you all

Have a look here:
http://forum.irakrakow.com/
very nice tutos on the forum of Ira Krakov, look in the section:
Blender 3D video tutorials.
Good luck!

I’d say use 2.49 to learn the basics of modeling and the 3D concepts. Here’s what I experienced though. I eventually got to the point where I was tired of my models looking so monochromatic and unrealistic. I tried to learn UV Mapping, but by the time I bought a book on it and started to figure it out in 2.49 (by that point, the book was even slightly outdated), 2.5 came around and the workflow for this completely changed. To be honest, I still struggle with this kind of stuff in 2.5. I know it’s more intermediary, but eventually, they’re going to want to know how to do it, because otherwise, they’re going to get tired of their models looking so plain.

BlenderCookie.com IS very good.
There’s also blendernewbies.com; another good resource.
There’re even some Blender tutorials on http://cg.tutsplus.com.

I came on as a newbie at the tail end of 2.49 and was very glad to see that 2.5 was in the works. Coming from a professional, commercial graphics background, the UI of 2.49 made picking up the program almost too frustrating to stick it out.

After 2.5a0 was released, I decided to make the switch since it seemed pointless to learn an obsolete version; especially one that was so drastically different from the new release. I’ve found learning 2.5x very doable with the tutorials and articles available across the web as well as with the support of the community here at blenderartists.org. If I run into something I just can’t find resources for, I’ll go back to 2.49 to learn how it was done and then translate that into what I understand of 2.5x.

Oh, I also forgot www.blenderguru.com. Good stuff.

Neal Hirsig is redoing the tufts blender corse for 2.5. http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html