Normal and Displacement maps

Can texture maps generated for use with normal mapping be used for displacement or would using one such texture interchangeably produce odd results?

Normal maps aren’t really very good as displacements maps as they are directions not height data…

you “could” use the blue chanel in a tangent space normal map I guess…

displacement maps can be converted to normalmaps,but going the other way leads to bad results generally…

it can be done using the gimp normal map plug in or the nvidia plugin for photoshop but generally the results suck.

edit… I just remembered that the displacement modifier can take rgb data as xyz… offstes… can’t remember which form of normal map is best for that though… Object space?

I was fairly sure that RGB data was commonly used for displacements, like you said in your edit, but my main concern was that the values didn’t correspond, so you would get a badly textured object that had low spots where a ridge was supposed to be… ect.

http://www.mapzoneeditor.com is what I was hoping to use to generate my maps, and it easily outputs normal maps, but says nothing about displacement.

Can blender bake displacement maps?:confused:

ropsta, ctrl alt B

inputs command

has raging orgasm

T.M.I.? :cool:

TMI, Ropsta? I don’t know. I find any useful tip that helps me to make my models look realistic and awesome quite titillating. I doubt if we’re the only ones to feel this way. So what if not everybody has a raging orgasm when they get an answer like ctrl alt b. Mine hasn’t happened yet. It’s because I wonder…

Is that ctrl>alt>b, or ctrl+alt+b?

I wouldn’t say it was common to use rgb as xyz… you’d probably need an object space map rather than a tangent space one…and I suspect that mapzone would output tangent space maps as they’re the most common and portable… maybe not, regardless you’d need to experiment.

… you may need to invert one or more channels to get the coordinate systems right… you may need to flip the texture vertically or horizontally or both… but to be fair you usually need to experiment with that anyway if you use externally generated normal maps…

If the normal displays ok in blender you should be fine…

I still maintain that the blue channel of a tangent space map might be more fruitful… or running it through a filter that derives a displacement map

This approach is not common and the results usually suck

…I had used a procedural texture - distorted noise - as a normal map to make small waves on the sea… Well when it happened that I needed to use a displacement map… I just finely subdivided my plane, made a few tries, and that was it with the same texture…

displacement map!

for theses you need an image which is sligthly blured
cause the algo for displa map use a derivative and dont’ like sharp edge which will give very high values of displacement

so don’t think it’s that easy to use a normal for displacement

but to limit min and max displaced values you can use the displacement modifier

i did test it with color RGB but it was not blurred and this gives very bad displacement map!

i guess that if you blurred the pic is should be better

now another thing here
there is a script that can make a displacement map from a pciture in python forum

don’t know if that can help you

the only problem is that its gives a map with very high count of vertex
and i mean in the > 1 000 000 vertex fro a very small pic

unless you use the modified script given later in the thread

happy blendering