Normal Angle defining gloss on Ray Mirror possible?

I want to know if it’s possible (and if so, how can it be done) to have a material that varies it’s gloss RayMirror reflection based on the angle in wich light hits an object.
If I have a sphere I want the reflection of the surrounding objects to have a certain degree of glossiness but near the edges I want the reflection to be perfectly sharp.
It’s easy to do in 3dsMax, you simply put a fallof map into the glossines slot, but can you put a map in the gloss parameter in blender? how?
Thanks.

checlk the wiki for glass and transparebcies
and under the fresnel effect

you alos have tnagent effect that can be set

Salutations

Hi, an thanks for your reply.
I know the fresnel effect, but I want the glossiness to be affected, not the amount or strength of the reflection, the later is caused by the fresnel effect but the change in glossiness is not (at least in the real world).

thre is an adjustment for the gloss in theses panel

but you can read more about it in the wiki pages
there are many variables that can inlfuence it and severals pages are available on this

Salutations

Yes, I know there’s the gloss slider control in that panel, an that is exactly what I want to control with a map (a gradient in this case). That is what I was asking in the first place, sorry if I didn’t explain correctly.
This is something you do all the time in Max, You take a channel i.e. “Reflection” and asign a map to it that controlls the amount of reflection, but I dont know how to achive it in blender since theres no “map slot”.

there is in blender reflection map look in the map input and output panel there are button there for reflection map and check this subject in wiki book

i did not used it yet i think or may be ounce - but it is an old setting that can be use
but usually reflection map is for a complex outside scene
and mirror and refelc is for a single object if i not mistaken

Salutations

As far as I know, there isn’t any more fine-grained way to control the glossiness of reflections than the Gloss slider. The glossy reflections are a new feature (only in since 2.46), and in many ways, they’re still being fine tuned.

This article should cover most of the key information about Blender’s implementation of the technique --> http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-246/glossy-reflectionrefraction/

I suspect there might be some way to jury-rig the type of effect you’re attempting with a little bit of material node kung-fu, but the specifics are currently beyond me. I wish I could be of more assistance.

Yes, I’m playing with nodes right now but since I have no acces to glossines in nodes’s advanced material (or whatever i’s called) I thinks is going to be impossible. I don’t know why you have such a limited acces to materials properties in nodes, It would be a great update in next versions. Although I preffer blender in overall, max’s materials are more flexible since you can put a map on virtually all the characteristics of a material (but you dont have AO, sss, glossy reflections, etc. in max standard materials)
Anyway, thanks :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if this would work, but what I was thinking was to have two separate materials; one glossy and the other not, and use a gradient based on the normal vector to fade between them. It’s an imperfect solution, but it might be a way to fake the effect you’re after. If it’s possible. I’m super ignorant about material nodes right now. :slight_smile:

can you show a pic of the effect you want to ahve
would be nice to see it
Salutations

Sure!
What I’m triying is to get as close as this scene I did in 3dsmax, but in blender, and although is subtle, there is variation in the amount of glossiness if yo look at the center or at the edges of the teapots.

P.S. What do I have to do to show images? I could before but can’t now

normally you should ber able to laod pic look at the bottom of the page there is a place to do so

now what other effect you want ot add to this pic?

mind you that you don’t have much around it so this does not show much reflections of other objects arournd theses

Salutations

that’s the VRay render :slight_smile:
S**it! I forgot about the attachments :o
Well, the thing is exactly that.
In Vray you can have just a teapot and an area light and you get gorgeus results in terms of realism. that’s not the case with blender’s internal renderer. Obviously it has no GI so you can’t compare them, but I have the hope that you can tweak some things with nodes to see how close you can get to Vray, or at least that’s what I’m trying.
I’ll post an image of my progress so far

did you tried Yafray ad see the results>

SAlutations

Well, as far as I know Yafray doesn’t support glossiness of any kind.

that’s because it’s already included as i know of
that’s why it can do lot’s of thing blender cannot do
yafray has the tru photon renderer which does not need a lot of tricks because everything is calculated with precision
and this gives great rendering with reflection - refraction and transparencies
but it what just a tough - if you know how to use it it might solved the problem
whitout any tricks !

Salutations

Yes, yafray is great and may be the way to go, the problem with it for me is that it doesn’t do glossy reflections (nor sss).
Anyway I’m triying to push blender’s internal renderer just to see how far it can go, as a challenge or experiment.
I will post my tests.
Thank you.

you can use a ramps shader spec to have another color from other viewpoint

it’s another trick that can be used amongs a lot of other

Salutations