Normal map issues

I know there are similar posts out there but none seem to be what I’m looking for… that I can find anyway. I’ve mad a hi-poly model and a low poly. I’ve baked the hi-poly normal to fit the low-poly. However when I do odd marks appear. I’ve checked both models for anything odd but all seems fine.

Am I baking it wrong? is it something obvious? I’m attached an image of the map…

Thanks

Check you have no overlapping faces, duplicate vertices and your face normals are all consistant.

Show us your blend file you are trying to bake

You know I think you might be right. Before seeing you reply I looked and noticed faces overlapping. So I thought that might have been the case. Don’t suppose theres a quick way of finding them? or just look at the normal map I have and locate it?

Thank you for the reply…

Yeah, I would definitely check to make sure you don’t have overlapping vertices at those points. If you were sculpting with the crease or inflate brushes, this sometime happens. Also, make sure your margin between the two meshes is set high enough when you bake it. I’ve had issues with that in the past that made weird dark patches like that.

The part w lime green/yellow is inverted normals!

Thats interesting to know. I’ll have a proper look into that. Inverted normals… hmm ok. Had a problem with those. Again I give it all a good looking into… Baking normals is quite new to me. :slight_smile:

Those artifacts look like they are from not having the Bias and Distance settings dialed in quite right. Maybe, try to make sure the low poly and high poly are as close to matching up as possible to minimize the chances of this happening. Also, you may want to scale both models up by a factor of 10 before baking. xNormal recommends this scalling up because small break the raytracing math a bit, and I’ve noticed that it can sometimes make a difference in Blender as well although not all geometry configurations will require this. If you’re not having a problem then don’t worry about it, but if you are, it can’t hurt to try.

I can’t be sure but more than likely this is caused by Obama.