Normals broken when exporting to Unity

I’m not sure what’s going on here. This missile looks fine in Blender, but in Unity, the normals are broken. Every hard edge has this weird “dent” effect near it, and I can’t figure out how to fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

missile2.blend (1.42 MB)

What are your import settings in Unity?

I’m just using Unity’s default settings, but I’ve tried everything I could find that looks related to normals, and nothing helped.

EDIT: Accidentally posted basically the same thing twice.

I’ve never tried taking a Blender model into Unity yet, but, have you tried unchecking Optimize Mesh option? That sounds like it will try to recalculate/reconstruct the mesh, possible including the normals, so worth a shot.

That didn’t work either.

I had always trouble to import precalculated normals. Turn Normals & Tangents / Normals from Import to Calculate. And then play with the value a bit. This one doesn’t influence the hard edges though.

Mh, how did you produce this hard edges? By the Edgesplit modifier? Or in edit mode with edge split? I think to remember that Unity is in trouble with the modifier method.

Might be the model itself that is causing problems.

Post the .blend of the ship or part of the ship so we can take a look.

I tried that already, and it didn’t do anything.

Mh, how did you produce this hard edges? By the Edgesplit modifier? Or in edit mode with edge split? I think to remember that Unity is in trouble with the modifier method.

As someone who didn’t know what edge splitting is until 30 seconds ago, I just selected everything on one side of the edge and “extruded” it without actually moving it.

The .blend is in the OP.