Not able to translate object in edit mode using local axis.

When I try to translate an object in edit mode, in this case a newly added cylinder, I rotate it slightly on the global y axis. I want to size it along the local z. From my understanding and based on videos I have watched, the local z usually translates in the direction top and bottom is pointing. In the pic below, I have the transform orientation set to local, but the manipulator is still respecting the global axis. I read that you can also press the quick keys to translate objects such as; g,s,r, and select axis (x,y,z) twice to translate on specific local axis, but that did not appear to work. Ideally what I would like to do is size the cylinder up and down to lengthen it without increasing the size of the entire object. I can set it flat on the x axis the size along the z with no issues, but I would like to do it as it is oriented in the picture if possible.

If I am not clear please ask me for more details and I will try to better explain.

Thank you in advance.

From my understanding and based on videos I have watched, the local z usually translates in the direction top and bottom is pointing.
The shape of the object has no bearing on the local axis.

In the pic below, I have the transform orientation set to local, but the manipulator is still respecting the global axis.
In this case the local and global axis are the same. That is because you said you rotated the cylinder in edit mode. If you had rotated the cylinder in object mode then the object would have a rotation value which could then be used with the local transform

You can select the end faces and set transform to Normal and translate instead of scaling or repeat what you previously did but rotate in object mode

Thank you for your response. After testing your suggestion I was able to confirm and use local access while in edit mode as I originally intended to.

I will have to make it best practice I suppose to add new objects while in object mode instead of edit mode.

Thank you again.