not (all) VSE hope gone!

Guess what, it appears that all hope is not gone regarding VSE.
In today’s development update post on the Mango site, Ton said that (a) Ian will probably present the TD with a list of AE-inspired features he would like to have for the VSE and (b) s-curve masks will be available everywhere in Blender (which includes the VSE of course).
Interesting side effects to say the least…

All I want is for the VSE to be able to work with open cl compositor.
That would give mid range VFX apps serious competition

I wonder if Ton has talked with Turi to get some of his scripts into C? I doubt that we will ever seen a vertical integration of the compositor in the VSE. It would have to be another Node subset window, as the regular compositor is a down stream effect for good reason.

If the DEVs can make Blender render faster than AE, that is with camera footage, it will become a serious option. Otherwise all the bells and whistle will not matter to me and possibly others who already use AE. I am always looking for a faster way to render. And with Apple’s blunder with the new Final Cut X (and the abandoning of Final Cut Pro) many editors are seriously considering what Premiere and the Mercury engine have to offer. Hardware acceleration for rendering should be the prime focus.

Sure but currently Blender places effects design and interaction away from the VSE timeline, quite the opposite to After Effects. Nodes is cool but how do you integrate keyframed layers (from a timeline) efficiently?

I just pre-rendered footage (that I created in After Effects) and apply that to planes and render in Blender Internal. I rarely composite in Blender. Typically synchronizing project lengths/fps between the apps. Then I pass footage back and forth. I don’t claim this is efficient, however.

I always feel like I am wasting my time in the VSE. I let it go for a few months then try it again and end up with the same conclusion, “Oh yeah, it is still that clunky. And audio doesn’t work right and there is no quicktime…what will I use for my final output that After Effects and Final Cut can read?”

The VSE is still better than all the other Linux based open source video editors I have tried. But as the thread title suggest, all hope is not lost.

I don’t know but I think Turi should definitely get in touch with Peter who’s the main VSE developer to check if it would pay off to port the scripts to C. I for one would certainly love to see the scripts integrated in trunk or at least as part of the standard addons.

I doubt that we will ever seen a vertical integration of the compositor in the VSE.

me too! :frowning:
It’s just that the VSE is not really part of the main rendering pipeline

It would have to be another Node subset window, as the regular compositor is a down stream effect for good reason.

I wouldn’t mind how it is integrated so long as it is integrated one day

Atom just curious about how fast AE is in rendering. Have you ever run any comparative tests with the same source inputs?

In my experience, rendering out from the VSE to SD is super fast even with many adjustment layers based color-grading, keyframable effects etc. Rendering to 720p is slower and to 1080p is really slow. But that would make sense because many more pixels are involved in fullHD.

Oh yeah, what is even slower is the compositor especially if certain nodes are used in the noodles! :wink:

One day (hopefully within the timeframe of project Mango) the need to turn to AE will be completely eliminated. At least for the visual part (compositing, editing, and effects). Now the audio is a different story.

Funny, Nuke is the industry standard in compositing today and Nuke have no (frame-to-frame) acceleration to speak of. :wink:

So for me speed (as in AE/Premiere Pro) is in no way as important at solving some basic flaws in the compositor, like not having a comp settings function (size is based on incoming plate which is pretty crappy) and we really need a proper masking node, stüff like that… But hopefully this will become clear for the devs during Mango. :slight_smile:

Why are you interested in frame-compressed footage? Image sequences is a whole other ballgame of quality than these crappy video-codecs… :frowning:

@Atom: Gee, I thought I was a partisan Blender user but guess what? In a video tutorial series on color correction with Premier I’m watching right now the author just said that AE is pretty fine and all that jazz but it does not have hardware acceleration so there is no reason to use it! :wink:
He then proceeded to demonstrate how Premier is lightning fast with recent versions of CUDA-supported graphics cards!
I mean wow! Just wow!

ahem…never used Nuke but from what I’ve seen it’s lightning fast compared to Blender’s compositor. This situation will certainly change with the integration of the new compositor.
I don’t know if Nuke uses hardware acceleration though.

So for me speed (as in AE/Premiere Pro) is in no way as important at solving some basic flaws in the compositor, like not having a comp settings function (size is based on incoming plate which is pretty crappy) and we really need a proper masking node, stüff like that… But hopefully this will become clear for the devs during Mango. :slight_smile:

New masks are being planned for integration in every part of Blender. On the top of that, the new compositor already has a new masking system. So bear up, we’re getting there! :slight_smile:

Why are you interested in frame-compressed footage? Image sequences is a whole other ballgame of quality than these crappy video-codecs… :frowning:

Apple softwares mainly use quicktime.