Not Really Sure How to Do This...

Hey everybody!

I’m working on a sort of dubstep based game, and I am currently working on modeling the characters, all of whom will be dubstep artists. So far I’ve done Skrillex and deadmau5, and I am working on doing The Glitch Mob (logo below). But, I am having trouble figuring out 2 things:

1. I don’t really know what the best way to model The Glitch Mob logo would be. I can do the set of triangles, but I’m having trouble with the circles and the lines on the center triangle. For the lines, I thought I would just add edges in that pattern, but I couldn’t find any information on how to color those edges.

1. For my deadmau5 character, I want the head to look like this…

…but I don’t know how make the holes in the ears. I thought the method that would look the best would be to actually cut holes out of the ears, but I can’t seem to make them into circles.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone has any suggestions on the game itself, let me know, I would love to hear them!

for making colored lines, set material to ‘wire’, ‘shadeless’, and ‘vertex color’ and do some vertex painting. for the cheese effect, try booleans. use a recent build, since booleans have been improved recently.

This would be my first time using vertex paint, so I apologize if some of my questions are somewhat stupid:

I have figured out how to use vertex paint, but when I am trying to color something, I can’t seem to just color the edges that I want. How would you do that? I have a feeling that it is related to the wire material. Is that supposed to act as a guide for the painting? If so, I must be doing something wrong (probably a lot of somethings wrong :o )

The booleans seem like they will work perfectly with what I am trying to do, right now I just need to get acquainted with how they work. Until you mentioned them, booleans were another thing I had never used before, but they appear to be very easy to use.

Also, I apologize for the delay in my reply to your post. I’m unable to get on the Internet during the week, so Sunday is my only day for checking the forums. On that note, it will probably be a week until I see any other replies, but I will try to check next week.

OK, I tried using the booleans, and they cut the holes out perfectly, but I am left with an enormous amount of faces inside the hole and around it (see pictures below). I feel like I need to get rid of/ clean up these faces, because look extremely messy. What would be the best way to do that? Also, I want to make somewhat circular depressions in the surface of the mouse-head, similar to those on the picture in my first post. How would I go about doing that?

This cheese ear form is little complicated. You need clean mesh with nice crease. Here is my quick try.

I thought of making two forms. First one was simple ear volume. And second one, a mesh layout with the holes. I simply Shrink wrapped the mesh layout over the first general form. And then extruded the holes with some edge sharpening. And, rendered with cycle.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m626/cabby24/Blender%20Pics%201012/cheese_ear.png

OK Ridix, your “quick try” is a million times better than my attempt that took me forever! :smiley: The way you did it looks absolutely fantastic. However, I am a sorry excuse for a modeler, so I have absolutely no idea how you did that. Would you be able to explain it in detail to me?

to understand how to model such things manually, check tutorials on edge loops and topology. also, the retopo tool can be quite helpful.

OK, I will put edge loops and topology on my list of things to learn about Blender. Any specific tutorials that I should check out?

Edge loops and topology are ubiquitous among platforms, certainly not Blender specific.

I think you can learn best by watching, just head over to Blender Cookie and watch every modeling tutorial Jonathan has ever done. Then lock yourself in your room for 6 months and practice the techniques you have learned from him. When you emerge you will be a master. It’s like learning to draw, most of it is technique not talent, and there are no shortcuts. After you learn to model you won’t need tools like booleans, and you will rarely need modifiers other than mirror and subsurf.

The explanation of how to achieve ridix’s mesh is clear from the pictures of his wireframe.