Novel Cover (THE LAST PATRIARCH RELEASED 11/09/07)

Wow, lots of replies, and it looks I better really do something about that staff texture. I’m still laughing at the Jerome Weidman though -I have no idea where that name came from lol. My name is Mikhail P. Schalk as Duoas got right. To answer PapaSmurf’s question, the book does have 2 editors aside from myself although they’re not professional editors, just friends who have a good knowledge of grammar and literature that also helped considerably with editing of the script for the movie.

Okay, I appreciate your opinions on moving the title away from the center, but it’s really not the look I’m going for -I want it to seem as if the title is almost shooting out of the staff and I really quite like how the staff centers itself between the space in “The” and “Last” -I’ll probably use a similar wider image for the spine. AndyD’s comment concerns me a bit about the printing press though. I may try and get a copy of the book printed in advance to see just how much the cover will be altered.

I have mixed feelings on the half-alpha banners and borders -I like them (If I do use them I will definitely go with a very dark color so as not to distract from the glow) but I think they make it look too bookish and the goal is to get the book to stand out from others. (Which is one of the reasons why I’m so intent on sticking with the “visually awkward” look of having everything focused in the center as AndyD pointed out -I think if it weren’t visually awkward the book wouldn’t stand out as much and catch the eye. I may use some sort of border along the very edge of the image though -I haven’t really decided yet.

I really like these mock-ups. They’re very helpful to me, even if it seems like I’m not taking any of your ideas. It’s really helpfuly to see what you’re talking about visually.

Alright, as I’ve been busily struggling to finish up the last few chapters I haven’t worked on it too much -I have this very minor update, and I suppose I should update the first post as well as this thread is getting pretty long:

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/5350/orekkonstaff14zd2.th.jpg
I think the only thing I’ve done is invert the hieroglyphs because before the normals were being effected the wrong way and I’ve added a rock texture to the wall to make it seem more realistic so let me know what you think about that. Other than that I’ve just adjusted the placement of the hieroglyphs to prepare for creating the real ones as these are just stand-in for now. It’s probably going to take a while to create the final hieroglyphs themselves, but I’m working on it -After trying to use sculpt mode and realized it was too intensive to operate with at the multires level needed for my computer I changed my mind and I’m just going to use an image texture so I’m currently painting away a nice bump map in the GIMP which is more or less just a neater version of what you see there and I’ll probably fill in some of the hieroglyphs with gradient as well to make them look like full carvings and not drawn in place.

Oh, I also remember someone saying something about them looking too symmetrical? If you were referring to the first stand-in image I used -that was just a duplicated mirror of itself cause I needed the texture to take up more space. The design I have now is only symmetrical in some places and that’s on purpose. If you think it’s too much let me know and I can move some things around.

I’ll probably also use some sort of chaffing effect for the wall -I believe there is a script available which I’ll have to hunt down just for that purpose.

Okay, so I’ll try and do some work on the staff and post another update before tomorrow if I can. Thank you all very very much for your comments, you’ve been very helpful.

The title misleaded me i guess :slight_smile: .http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0501930/

Yeah I’ve seen that before -I was hoping I wouldn’t have to compete with a 1956 television show when I was naming it, but I guess I will lol :).

Very nice-looking render! I can’t wait to see the final cover!

Suggestions:
-Add a cloud color texture to the wall to modify the colors in different places

One thing about your hieroglyphs. They’re a bit too chaotic - especially near the top. If I was an archaeologist (by no stretch of the imagination!) I should be able to guess the meaning of your mural. Put another way, once I read your book, the mural should make sense in a very specific way. Do you have a meaning in mind while you’re sketching it?
Thousands of years ago, the most powerful wizards in the world waged an epic war for control of the universe. Their powers were locked away by the two kingdoms of Magica and Palindome” Maybe the mural records something about that epic moment? Something that hints at an important discovery which Mika Berrings makes?

Keep up the great work!

I like your last one OK. It should print well both in a glossy paperback version and on a glossy dust jacket for hardcover (whichever you plan to do). You can get some idea of how the colors will translate to print if you are willing to abuse your inkjet (or other color printer) in a full-quality test print. However, you should see more or less what you want.

When you send it off to a professional printer, they’ll know how to adjust things to produce the best look. (Be warned though, it will probably be the most expensive thing you do…)

Also, don’t forget to put your name somewhere on the cover. That’s fairly standard so people will expect it when they pick it up in the bookshop. (Front cover: Title, Author. Spine: Title, Author, Publishing House.)

I’m not sure I agree… Only if individual hieroglyphs have specific meaning in your story do I think you ought to spend very much time having them make actual sense to people who know something about them. Otherwise, it is just cover art and only needs to look pretty and suggest a feeling/relationship with the tale.

Hope this helps.

Duoas, I agree with your disagreement with me. :slight_smile: I was looking at an earlier render - the one where the normals pointed the other way. In the latest render, the hieroglyphics are much more subdued; thus, their message is less important.

But I still think it would be cool to reveal a plot twist on the cover… (That was one of the very few things I liked about The DaVinci Code. Correction - that is the only thing I still remember fondly - the hidden messages on the cover.)

Okay, here’s an update. I’ve textured the staff and added some bindings to it so let me know what you think. I’ve also made a very very minor adjustment to the wall texture but you have to look really hard to notice a difference.
http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/1246/orekkonstaff16bb0.th.jpg

About the hieroglyphs, I will be working on a final sketch to change a few elements but for the most part I like the layout -it’s not entirely thematic to the novel, however it subtly calls to the general ambience of the book and there are actually several parts of the mural which DO directly reference things in the book so for the most part it is actually thematic -not in a storytelling way -it doesn’t give away any of the plot but it has some basic imagery that the reader will equate to things that are in the book -and it also has some imagery relating to the sequel I’m planning which doesn’t pertain to the book :wink: but that’s good because if it were a real wall of hieroglyphs having the whole mural just show things from the book would seem too direct -they need to be mixed in with irrelevant and unrelated images and texts as well.

It will probably take me some time to finish the GIMP hieroglyph texture and I also still have several chapters to write still, and in addition I’ll be pretty busy this weekend with family events so I’m not sure when I’ll get around to my next update but don’t fret if I don’t make any substantial progress for a few days -I’ll be working on it. I also will probably do a mock-up of the back of the book soon to show what I have planned for that. So, let me know what you think of the staff now. Thanks for your comments.

Another thing to consider is to allow enough extra area around the perimeter of the image for bleed and wrap-around. Currently it looks very tight and doesn’t appear to allow for such things.

this book looks cool, when it comes out i think i’ll get it… when does it come out?

Ah, Caius, I understand.:eyebrowlift:

@Pickle
I hope you have done some research into self-publishing. While your printer can help with a lot of things you still need to mind a good number of technical details. AndyD knows that your image is still a WIP, but he wants to make sure you understand how your finished cover artwork must be organized. A quick google gave me this page with some handy image templates. (Don’t send your publisher jpeg or other lossy data --it will show up in the finished result. Do follow the advice to use png, …)

Also, every update shows vast improvement. :yes:
Keep up the good work.

He has to finish writing it first… :smiley:

AndyD: That’s why I was considering adding a border so at least it would just be the border that got cut off if anything.

iliketosayblah: Soon is all I can really say. I’m working as fast as I can, it’s taken a lot longer than I thought it would already so I don’t want to give any official release date. My hope is sometime before mid-September, but don’t hold me to that. I’m glad you’re eager to read it.

Duoas: Yes, lulu.com (My self-publishing site) actually has a lengthy list of instructions for cover art which I have been neglecting to read. I think since the list is very long and I’ll have a nice family gathering tomorrow at the lake with lots of free time I’ll read over all their guidelines then. PNG definitely sounds like a good idea to me -and also I think they require a much higher resolution -I’ll still probably use these low resolutions for tests and updates but it will be a good idea I think to make sure it still looks okay in high res.

Thanks everyone for the replies and I’m glad you’re all eager to see this novel released. I hope you’ll stay with me after the Labor Day break.

Sorry for the long period of silence everyone. I started school and have been working on finishing the book up in the evenings and just lost track of time, but I have an update finally!

I’ve re-done the hieroglyphs and changed the wall texture a bit, but I’m not too sure about the hieroglyphs -They’re still just a drawing I did and scanned in, neater then before but I guess I’ll take your opinions on whether or not it needs to be enhanced -I was told by some friends to leave the hieroglyphs looking sort of like a rough sketch because that’s how a lot of ancient carvings actually do look, but let me know what you think I suppose.

The staff texture got a minor update as well.
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7931/orekkonstaff17revisedrohp0.jpg

Still no border and my name is missing, but other than that it’s pretty much complete (unless you think I need to re-do the hieroglyphs -I’m not sure how to go about doing them aside from a sketch and scanning it in because I tried sculpt mode but it didn’t really work for my purposes because I would have had to have a massive amount of sublevels and it was sort of difficult to draw the hieroglyphs that way anyways) So, if anyone has any ideas that will help I’m all ears, or maybe it’s fine and I’ve just been looking it at it too long?

I’m also working on a mock-up for the Back, so I will have that to show you probably on my next update and I’ll add the border to this and probably start to get it into the format the publishing site wants it to be in.

Okay, sorry again for the overly long gap of time. Comments are highly appreciated.

Man that cover page rocks! For your growing base of fans why don’t release just the first chapter - uncut and unedited . . . will ya !

I would, except that the first chapter is one of the only ones I still have yet to write, -I know odd isn’t it.

And that just adds to the suspense . . .

Finally an update! Sorry for the enormously long wait, school, personal life, and of course the actual writing of the novel have just been eating up my time like crazy. To make it up to everyone who’s been closely following this thread, I will post the first 3 Chapters of the novel, since I’d really like to get some initial feedback anyway -The first chapter is very short and more of an introduction so the story doesn’t really get going until the 3rd chapter which is why I’m posting 3 instead of just the first chapter.

So please enjoy the first 32 pages of the book (Unedited -don’t kill me if there are errors.) http://download314.mediafire.com/xv1yczdxzidg/72job1az1zy/Patriarch+First+3+Chapters+Unedited.doc

As for the progress, I’m just about finishing up the writing. I’m working on the final 2 chapters now -which are also the longest ones however lol, but that’s how it goes. My “editors” and I are getting into the editing/revision process which should go quick -We’re just really checking for grammatical errors because the story was based the script for the movie so that’s pretty sound.

As for a release date, I hate giving dates and not living up to them, but I’m pretty confident I can safely say it will be available for purchase by OCTOBER 22ND on my storefront at Lulu.com: http://stores.lulu.com/mikhailpschalk
-It may be sooner than that, I’ll be sure to let you know, but I’m not going to say anything earlier than that for now.

Okay, now for the most important part of the thread (to me at least). My updated cover… Feedback on any aspect, preferably the new border and the addition of my name, is welcome. And, I am having one problem in particular which I could use some help with from someone who knows the composite nodes well. I’m using the ZCombine Node to get the halo light to illuminate the border, but there’s this black line where the border meets the image if you look closely which I don’t know how to get rid of -any advice on that would be very helpful, and I’ve attached an image of my nodes setup to show you the situation -hopefully it’s not too hectic to interpret.
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/8451/orekkonstaff19rg9.jpg
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/9083/nodesetuphk0.th.jpg

Thanks again to all of you who have been following this thread, and I hope you enjoy the first 3 chapters. Feedback is always welcome.

Oh, and P.S. I’ve been trying to get around to a mock-up of the back for a while -I will get to that soon, so just be patient. Thanks.

Consideringthepickle - I’ve just read the three chapters for the download. From my personal point view - I can give you some initial critics. Your use of language is great, and obviously you have natural tendency to use ‘technical’ terms, that I found easy to grasp & that’s speaking from someone who avoids Sci-fi unless it has a cult following. I found the first chapter, and the first pages of chapter II, a bit too much detached, and in a kind-of documentary mode. This did not hold my attention. A better approach can be introducing people doing day to day things, with conversation, or actions, or a more spell-binding method could be people doing some different that is dangerous or rather.
When we do get to the people, everyone appears to confident, and I cannot find their inner-most thought processes, except by the expressions, or body languages. These by the way you have mastered in describing. The chapters are short, and this would attract a younger audience, although would this audience be mature enough to with-stand the violence or scenario? You have a good eye for detail, and placing one at the scene, and the plot is of a most refreshing angle.

Wow that was quick. First off I’m very thankful for your thorough feedback -it’s helped a lot. It sounds like your feelings are mixed, but you liked the overall plot and writing style. I’m kind of a sci-fi fan myself, but I wouldn’t say that I’m fanatical. I like a lot of other genres as well so I try to keep my writing as enjoyable to as many audiences as possible while still getting across the level of detail I need to paint the appropriate picture.
I thought the first scene might have been a bit too documentary-ish when I wrote it, but I wanted to get some opinions and that seems to be the consensus. I wrote it differently than in the script because in the script the first scene is a narration as a montage of events occur visually for the audience which seemed difficult to portray in book form. I basically just wrote an extended version of that narration, but taking your and others criticism into account I have re-written the first chapter now with a fresh start taking the more literal approach -I think I’ve figured out a way to still work in the points I need without making it too documentary sounding, so if you want to read it and let me know what you think of the change that’d be helpful. I think I’ll change it in the first post so that people who read the first 3 chapters will have the revised 1st chapter. It should be a bit more gripping and a better audience hook like it is in the script if I was successful.

When we do get to the people, everyone appears to confident, and I cannot find their inner-most thought processes, except by the expressions, or body languages. These by the way you have mastered in describing.

Yes, I did that intentionally. Chapters 2 and 3 are sort of a prologue to the actual story and more or less the wrap-up of a story in itself. I should also note that most of the book is written in such a way that the characters’ thoughts are only revealed through their body language -I did this because the story was originally written as a script for the movie and it makes it much more realistic as well.

The chapters are short, and this would attract a younger audience, although would this audience be mature enough to with-stand the violence or scenario?

The short chapters are more or less because I divided it up the same way I did the scenes for the script (of which there are 40 total). The film is generally directed towards younger audiences, but I also wanted to make the story enjoyable to older audiences as well. The two sequels are directed towards progressively older audiences however so I was convinced to write the novelization in a more mature direction than the script, but I’m hoping to reach as broad of an audience as I can.

Okay, so thanks very very much for your feedback again. And, I hope it made you anxious to read the rest too. I’ve updated the file I linked to in my last post so you can read the updated first chapter by re-downloading.

Okay, I know I’m way behind schedule, but hopefully you’ll understand. Editing, and getting everything together just took much longer than I expected, but it’s finally finished!
“The Last Patriarch” is now on sale at http://stores.lulu.com/mikhailpschalk
I’ve also updated my production blog concerning the release: http://patriarchproduction.blogspot.com so check it out and feel free to purchase a copy and I hope you like it.

Here is the finished cover and corresponding back-cover. Comments are always welcome, although obviously the book is already in print. The second image on the back of the book is also going to be a shot in the movie however so I’ll be glad to receive as much feedback as possible (And admittedly I kind of rushed it but I think it serves its purposes for a decent back for the book.)
[http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/5208/novelcoverko0.th.jpghttp://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2168/backcoverwithstufflp7.th.jpg](http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=backcoverwithstufflp7.jpg)

Thank you for your patience and I hope everyone likes the book.