Now that the Eevee hype is over...Anyone use it for actual work?

Not talking about some YouTube amateur tutorial on yet anther 80’s glowing/neon thingy in Eevee or some troll milking 26 minutes of content to show you how to get better shadows in Eevee because contact shadow isn’t on by default or that you have to enable refraction in two places because courage.

The people who use it actual work, how many of you are doing that ? Or final render always ends with Cycles ?

Depends what you are using it for. Eevee is best for game stuff. Bake textures in Cycles, but to get the general look of a game asset you will always use Eevee. Also useful for game animations where perfect detail is not required because everything happens fast and the player won’t focus on some specific detail.

I personally use it for space scene animations because there just isn’t much “Global Illumination” in Space, this is also the reason why LightWave Renders from Star Trek Voyager still holds up pretty well even though it is starting to look dated [doesn’t even have ambient occlusion] because there just isn’t too much light “interactions” going on in Space Scenes.

1 Like

Maybe not what you’re looking for, but it can be useful for motion graphics. I’ve used it for the title animation for different series that our studio does on YouTube. Example: [Link]

Also, I design illusions at our studio and the approximations are very useful for R&Ding different designs to see if they’re working.

1 Like

I thought Eevee was originally developed for lookdev, to avoid the cycle of change this, render, change that, render…, scrubbing animations etc. to save time to final render, not specifically as a render engine?

3 Likes

It was developed to replace Blender Internal the old render engine with better codes and features and 3d acceleration.

I thought Cycles replaced Blender Internal? A viewport was discussed that would replace the interactive gubbins from Blender Internal, such as flybys and BGE, which Cycles lost, and this turned into Eevee?

I think the realtime viewport was a big plus. I don’t think cycles was ever designed to replace BI though, people were using Yafaray before.

Boon & Pimento

I think these guys use EEVEE, and renders are really great.

Hell yea, I’ve used it first on a fundraiser for a high tech hypnosis chair. Our client wanted a “ride” into a metaphorical brain, with a medieval library, a crypt and finally a data center… Eevee worked wonders for this, even though at the time light probes weren’t in yet and I had to fake my GI throughout. It was also problematic for rendering fire and smoke, so I just rendered them in Cycles and comped over, but that was sort of annoying to be frank.

I’m using it right now on a short awareness film on sea turtles that should be watchable within a month.

@anon62435837 show your space stuff if you can !

Eevee, like Cycles is a tool to get images out.
The plus is that it is much faster than Cycles to see results.
Both have their purposes, but if you get 90% there in 20% of the time, it might be just ‘good enough’.

Realtime rendering is ever progressing, look at Unreal Engine. There’s awesome stuff done straight from the game engine. And real-time ray tracers are becoming a viable option too.

For stills, and certain specific setups you might fall back to Cycles.
Eevee will keep evolving, and at some point you might render all your animations in Eevee.

Also, realize Blender is one of the few 3D applications that has this built-in atm. It is a ‘unique selling point’ so to speak :wink:

1 Like

When has the hyped been over? Did you hear? there is a new DOF and it totally makes it worth, re-render scenes with motion blur and DOF.
I use it for every project. Cycles is “too costy” in times unless you actually have 1 or 2 3080+ RTX cards. Best bet is to render in online farms, but still, not enough budget or time for some of the works I do.

2 Likes

I use a lot of procedural textures and EEVEE is slow with them. I have found that Cycles + Optix denoiser is often faster, looks better and saves time because it just works out of the box and I don’t have to set up things like light probes, shadows and a whole bunch of other stuff.

[Embarrassed ;p]

@Hadriscus, you used Eevee for production before light probes ? wow…I hope at least it have screen space reflection back when you used it for that project.

The renders from Unreal are…well…unreal !
It has reached a point where I am thinking they should just sell their render engine, THAT alone is just…wow…what tricks are they using ?

Agree ! AND AND AND not to mention programs like Topaz Video Enhance AI.
I am reaching a point where I am considering rendering at LOW resolution, clean up using Intel OpenDeNoise [it looks WAAAY better from my testing visually compared to NVidia’s Optix, the training input they have used must be really good] and enlarge with Topaz Video Enhance AI.

4 Likes

Cycles heats my computer up too much, and does not produce results quickly. EEVEE has no such problems, because it uses the graphics card for its intended purpose not as a math coprocessor.

And, even though the “Workbench” renderer is not supposed to be “for production work,” I used it successfully in a project where I’m looking for a “cartoon-like” look. The renders are not particularly realistic … it doesn’t even use the lights … but sometimes that’s exactly what you want! :slight_smile:

I do visualization of products and heavy equipment and I use Eevee all the time for animations and Cycles mostly for stills. Eevee helps me keep the deadlines + budget and at the same time deliver good enough material to the clients.
If Eevee will get raytraced reflections and raytraced ambient occlusion then I wouldn’t need Cycles at all (most of the time).

That’s pretty chill, I like it ! found the lighting a bit on the light side for outer space, but I imagine you’ve gone for clarity rather than physical accuracy. What’s your book exactly, I’m intrigued ? The summary on amazon grabbed my attention…

Yes there was SSR when I rendered the project. There was many glossy surfaces, it would have looked much poorer without it. I’ll see if I can talk to my client and show the film, but I’m doubtful.

Eevee has gotten crazy good with the improvements in the past few months. And add in the SSGI branch, and artist are putting out amazing renders with Eevee.

If you check the main Blender Facebook group you’ll see incredible examples of Eevee in action.

Just this morning one such example was posted.

Couple of things still need some work when used for animations like, random material flicker, and characters passing in front of a light can cause materials to flickering.

3 Likes

I think that now rendering with Cycles is cost inefficient. Unless we are talking up to the level of Pixar or WETA, which is impossible for the average Blender user or small business owners to achieve this quality due to lack of resources.

I really appreciate the fact that Blender offers everyone the opportunity to create anything with no restrictions. But this means that now is only matter of doing the most efficient work with the tools given.

For most people not in the know, Eevee and cycles are identical in a lot of use cases. Screenspace effects aren’t going to fool any of us CG nerds, but most of my clients don’t care. They care a lot more about waiting for and being charged for 10x more rendering time.

2 Likes