nameSTACK [1.02.20]

Hey everyone, have some news, I re-versioned everything, the version everyone is using is now version 0.8, version 0.9 is in the works.

I will also be making this a paid for addon as I simply cannot afford to spend time on it otherwise, I do have a family to feed.

With a free version available that includes current batch naming tools, improved, the paid addon will have a properties window pop-up, and a new batch namer.

Name Panel has been renamed Name Stack
Saving user preferences should now work as expected
Pop-ups are now wide by default and the width has been increased to look better on high dpi
Clicking Batch Name in the panel now bring up the batch name operator from the menu, quick batch has been deprecated
Batch Name pop-up has had the game engine options made only available when in the Global target mode
User preference links have been cleaned up, and corrected

Welcome to Name Stack 0.8, public, 1.0 will offer the public and the paid versions.

Added a couple of much needed options, Find only and On found, offering the ability to effect only names where text was found.

These two guys right here:

Find Only: When enabled, will not replace the found text if the replace field is empty
On Found: Custom name, prefix, suffix, trim start, trim end and cut options will only effect names with found text

I also updated the addon preferences layout, to something more straight forward I hope:

Download

4 Likes

Great job!

1 Like

Hi
I installed this add on but I canā€™t figure out how to use it. Iā€™m a beginner.

I was looking for a good renaming addon and I have been giving this a try but there are few odd behaviours (to me at least) and afaik Iā€™m not using it incorrectly:

Batch Rename

• I canā€™t add a number counter to only 1 selected object (Why not?). Instead I have to add as suffix.

Auto Name

• If I want to change the object data, I have to select Object, not Object Data which makes no sense at all.
  • There is no suffix option for Object Data only prefix.

Would love to be able to use it in Blender 2.8. Any updates planned?

Indeed, will need a bit of time but namestack 2.8 is in the works

4 Likes

Hello, is it possible to automatically rename Materials to the name of their (first) texture?

Released Name stack for 2.80 as beta, we are missing core batch naming functionality however the stack itself is already useful, as a result this early release comes at very cheap price of $1 (details in original post), which will be raised as features are added/restored.

You can get the 2.79 version for free here

I had no idea this goes back to 2012, I assumed it was something new youā€™ve made recently :slight_smile:

Great stuff!

1 Like

Learned a lot from my work on this, in many cases how to do things in the first place, the future of name stack is a bright one for sure, i have dedicated a lot of thought to the topic of the batch naming, the upcoming preset system should be a great solution.

There is automation on the table when it comes to naming in the sense that a handler could be executed searching for preset scenarios, naming when found for example the default name Cube.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a feature that has been in blender for a bit that returns list of objects for the raycast hit if you use click Alt with LMB (select button).
Do you think it would be possible to have a feature in nS or Batch Operations 2 that would let you filter this menu with conditions like in the nS? Its the only multiselect method in the viewport that doesnā€™t need origin of the object but itā€™s hard to know exactly what to select without additional information most of the time.

I can see that being useful for both picking and naming, namestack is already set up for the most part to do this sort of thing so it should be an easy enough feature to implement.

Added it to the todo list

Thatā€™s so awesome! I have just tried drag select in nS menu. ā€¦donā€™t know why I felt it would work but it did.:)) Man, I wanted that feature in blender for so long. ā€¦and setting active object is so easy. Itā€™s going to be a killer feature for baking multiple High poly objects into one low poly and grouping :slight_smile:.

Btw, sorry for messing up ealier. I was laughting so hard at people messing up machin3 and masterXeon1001 and then I do the same thing. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

name panel aka ns is a core part of my workflow and wold be awesome if it get the batch rename functionality on time for the 2.8 release

Working on it, I may be able to get it rdy in time.

awesome TY ! :smiley:

Select to target support (hold shift):
stack_demo

F2 popover now highlights the active object name, rather then the find field

Also using the generic object data icon for the active object to help identify it in the stack

Price has been bumped to $2

1 Like

I got this addon in 2.8.
Itā€™s great that the upcoming update will be able to handle the same as 2.79namestack.
Can you add a rename button to the panel instead of searching?