Nudity. Not Work Safe. Nude girl.

Let’s keep it sane. If nudity offends you, go elsewhere. Stay on topic.

So I’m re-rigging the hair on my model, and I’m not done yet, and I’m making test renders, and this one comes out that I’m kind of happy with.

Normally I do postprocessing in GIMP to get better (more artistic) lighting and line work, but this one is just plain as-outputted-by-Blender. Here is the 800-pixel-long image:

http://www.faemalia.net/Blender/UltraDramatism.jpg

Here is the .blend:

http://www.faemalia.net/Blender/UltraDramatism.blend.gz

If you look at it very closely, you might notice her right ear isn’t entirely attached to her head. The Blender mesh stitching leaves a lot to be desired. Anyone have any hints about how to do it? I think I might have to do a “hide vertex” combination to get it done, but IIRC, the ear geometry doesn’t match with the head geometry completely. It’d be nice to have a metaball-like “merge two mesh” function. :confused:

The skin shader is pretty simple. I used UV unwrapping for a couple of items. The pubic hair, the nipples, the lip textures, the eyebrows, the shadow inside her navel. The texture as it’s applied doesn’t really add much contrast. Anyone have any hints about what I’m doing wrong there? (Maybe I need to use “stencil” or something?) Then there’s a procedural texture applied to the whole body and then bumpmapped to get some sense of texture. It might be worth your while to get the .blend and make a full-size render to look at the detail.

For some reason, I’ve placed bones inside her lips and parented them to a jaw bone, but when you rotate it, several vertexes of her top lip go with the bottom lip bones, and vice-versa. (I know that vertex weighted groups is supposed to solve this problem, but vertex weighting is infeasable for me right now).

Problems:

• Try solving for radiosity with this model. Can you make it work? (Don’t try radiosity at render-time, use the radiosity solver to set vertex colours)
  • Can you tie RVKs to joint rotation values? I might try MakeHuman to see if that solves my problems, but unsure if this is the right path to take.
  • Iris and pupil are directly on the surface of those spheres. Anyone have any hints about how to get some depth there?
  • How can I make hair? This is the third time I’ve started over on this, and I still haven’t gotten a satisfactory solution. Dupliverts and particles both have fatal shortcomings (being neither allow parenting to an armature correctly).
  • I want soft shadows. I’ve tried upping the sampling frequency and using multiple spotlights, but nothing seems to give me the “two objects close, sharp shadow, two objects further apart, soft shadow” effect. What am I doing wrong?

Alright. Enough questions for now. Off to bed.

Theres the fiber script or static particles and others, just search the forums. That will make it look less like there are black knives in her head.

her nipples are scary… like, crusty.

This is probably the best shape of a female body Ive seen on Elysiun forums.

Good work, to bad it doesnt get the appriciation it should here on this forum.

For the shadows. Use area light.

This is probably the best shape of a female body Ive seen on Elysiun forums.

how long have you been around?

Seriously. It is a good model. The torso deforms perfectly. I do get a feeling the head is a bit large, though.

no offense, but my girlfriend and I both agree that the nipples look like they’ve been grilled, even though the shape is good. it’s a good model, definitely, but you need to get the nipples right or else it’ll shock the eye.
Cheers!

some notes:

the finger deformations seem to have little problems…especially the thumb.

as said, nipple texture is too rough. same goes with the lips.

something about your armature makes the model very slow when entering editmode. can’t say what that is tho…

.b

Constructive Criticism! Thank you!

Paroneayea,Goeland86: Yeh, true, true. I’ll fix the areaolas today.

Bellorum: It deforms less well than it should. Grab the topmost bone of her spine and rotate it more than about 10 degrees in any direction – it breaks her breasts. :frowning: It’s mainly because I have bones in her breasts to control size/shape.

Dante: References?

Bigbad: Ummm. This image is lit with area lights. No soft shadows. If I put the area light very close to my model, the shadows are soft, but then the shadows grow huge from the model to nearby surfaces, which looks like studio lighting. I want to simulate slightly diffuse sunlight, or sunlight interrupted by objects like trees. The shadows will remain almost the exact size of the model, no matter how far the shadow-receiver is, but the further from the object casting the shadow, the more soft the shadow edges.

Actually, if you download the .blend and activate layer 0 and re-render, you’ll see a light pattern on her like a tree between her and the sun, but where the light is diffuse on her skin, the shadow from her hand is still sharp, which is a nasty disconnect.

Robdollar: Now this sounds interesting. Can you say in a short paragraph how static particles would help to make realistic hair? Have you ever used static particles to make hair? I’ve tried both static and dynamic particles to make hair and remain unconvinced that either will work (although if I can get particles to follow armature pose, it would). As for the fibre script, sounds interesting, I’ll look for it. I’d really be interested in references to images that show how the fibre script can make realistic hair.

Okay, I’ve fixed the areolas and taken the daggers out of her head in preparation for using the fibre script. I’ve also included some close-ups of various body parts to try to show skin or other textures. I’m having issues using procedural textures with bumpmapping, it’s almost as though the bumpmapping entirely ignores my procedural shape and always uses a flake sort of shape. Very odd.

http://faemalia.net/Blender/WiresAndDevelopment/Inprogress-Fullpose,Detail.jpg

I got the fibre script and played around with it in its default environment, but when I try to use it in my .blend, it always complains some errors. I guess I have more work to do. I do believe the fibre script is the key to getting good hair in Blender. Thanks to Robdollar for the suggestion.

Basse: Yes, I’ve gotten some comments about the lip texture. It is bad, there is no doubt of that. And finger/thumb deformations are downright abhorrent, but thank you for putting it in such nice words. :slight_smile:

Joints are really hard to do. It took a long time to get the knees and elbows correct, and even still, the knees need a lot of work at their maximum deform range.

I suspect the fingers/thumb will be a month-long project by itself (I can only work on this project about 10-15 hours/week).

Bellorum: Notice that her head doesn’t seem as large in this one. That’s just because in the last shot, I was using something like a 35mm lense close up, and camera at a high angle. This one is a longer lense (55mm?) at a lower angle. No body proportion is different on this model than the last.

Second is better :slight_smile:

skin shader looks nice

nipples are better, but details still are unsatisfactory (I’m a very hig vertex count guy)

1 - Nails where are them? THey look like you have modeled the end of the fingers like there were a nail, but there is not a nail, at least change the material there, better, add a nail model

2 - Pubis: you cannot do pubis hair with a texture, not at all, model hair there, fiber script by RipSting is my favourite, I don’t like much the results of the MakeHuman UV textured hair on alpha meshes, this latter technique is too cartoony (You used it for head hair, right?)

I find thumbs unsatisfactory too, but basse aready pointed out

Stefano

Mmmmm, nakedness.

Ok, the model looks nice but the fingers are too square. Did you use subsurf creases or something? The skin does look nice and I agree with using UV mapped hair. I’m a low poly person ;).

I don’t want to say that I think the knees are too low because you said you worked on them a long time but my reckoning is they ought to be half way and they look about 6% too low. I guess that’s ok.

Nose is also pinching a bit too much.

The nipples are ok because some people actually have nipples like that:

http://the-inbetween.com/dump/nipple_action.jpg

That’s not me btw - I got it on google images searching for nipple.

Can’t help you on the head hair as I haven’t modelled that myself but I have done an eye:

http://www.geocities.com/ajr650/eyeball.blend.zip

The parts are separate and have independent materials - you’ll probably need to change them. If you append the eye to your scene, you might need to make sure you parent all the parts to the eyeball object again - can’t remember if hierarchies are preserved. You then just manipulate/scale the eyeball object itself.

The hands are perhaps the worst part about my model. I will probably need to model her again to incorporate all I’ve learned about edge loops (and especially, when NOT to use them). When I finally do, I will spend a lot more time making her hands look good. And yes, I think I’m going to have to have a separate fingernail model parented to the finger bone, because UV texture unwrapping is a gigantic splintery jabby poky pain in the a–.

No, no, I didn’t work on the knees very long at all. That’s another area of the model that’s pretty… uh… formless. I can justify it by saying that some peoples’ knees have some fat around them which hides the patella and other tendons in that area, but it’s a pretty weak justification. My latest revisions of the model have more detail in the knee area, but I’m worried about how it’ll deform (I’m also reworking the armatures).

I’m getting no joy with the RipSting fibre script. It gives me some error when I try to import it into my .blend – probably I need to learn Python development to get it to work, but I don’t have time to learn Python so… <shrug>. Maybe someday it’ll be easier, and I’ll use it at that time. Until then, the scary textured pubic hair will have to remain. :frowning:

Yes, I use it on head hair. Although in some cases it looks pretty good, in others, kind of bad. Compare and contrast the women in these two poses on this image:

http://faemalia.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Blender3dNovember&id=MirrorNaught

The left girl’s hair, on the left, looks pretty bad (I have scaled the armature that controls her head polys) and the right girl’s hair, on the left, looks downright nice (albeit a bit straight-cut).

I think textures on polys have promise, but certainly it’s suboptimal. For one, reflections don’t work (I use z-buffer transparency), and if I use ray-traced transparency, I can’t get “no index of refraction” so the hair looks like it’s made of glass. Feh.